1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to find files exceeding 64-character length?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marie500, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Is there a quick way to find files in a folder whose file names exceed 64-characters in length? I'm trying to burn a CD of a large (over 500MB) photo folder. The CD burning program appears to alert me of SOME long filenames when it starts up, and I tell it to "Change All." But it's not finding them all until it starts burning.

During the burning it tells me certain file names exceed 64-characters and the path may not be found and do I want to proceed anyway. I can't go through the whole folder looking for the few long names because it's enormous, it would take hours.
    I don't know why it doesn't detect them all.

I'm using Roxio EZ CD Creator Platinum 5 and Windows XP SP2

2. Sponsor

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

4. Squashman

Got another off the wall idea. Use the builtin search function of the operating system but use the wildcards. In the filename to search for box put 63 question marks and then an asterisk

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????*

5. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Wow - that might have been off the wall, but it sure worked! I can see each of the too-long file names, all organized. I have an awful lot of them. In most cases it's the path names, because I put folders-within-folders-within-folders. I have a lot of re-naming work to do, but thankfully have a guide to go by.
    That was really neat, thank you!

6. Squashman

As my old teachers use to say: K.I.S.S (Keep it simple stupid)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!