1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to find LAN Passkey in order to connect Tungsten/E2 to computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by referee07, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I have a Palm Tungsten/E2 handheld and would like to connect it to my Dell Inspiron notebook computer via a wireless connection (I have no router, only the HP internal WI-FI connection.) in order to transfer my Outlook data to the Tungsten, but the Tungsten is asking for the administrator LAN passkey and I don't know how to find this? Can anyone tell me how I can find where this passkey is? Thanks in advance for any and all help with this.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The Tungsten/E2 has bluetooth (unless you have the optional Wifi adapter), so your Dell Inspiron needs to have bluetooth. The passkey would be shown in the bluetooth configuration settings you set up on the laptop.

3. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Frank4d, thanks for the reply. Could you tell me where the bluetooth settings can be found on my Dell Inspiron computer?

4. Frank4d

What is the Dell service tag number? It will identify what hardware is in the Inspiron.

5. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

FRrank4d, the service tag number is: GDY37P1.

6. Frank4d

This link is for a users manual for the Dell 365 Bluetooth Module in your computer: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/NETWORK/S233169/en/index.htm

See the sections for "Display Operations and Settings for Your Bluetooth Device", and "Configure Bluetooth Settings". Once the laptop is setup. then you can enter the passkey information into the Palm.

7. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Frank4d, thanks again for the help. I don't have time tonight to look into the contents of the link, but I'll check it out when I get home tomorrow.

8. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Frank4d, tonight I followed the link to "Display Operations and Settings for Your Bluetooth Device" but when I double-clicked on the Bluetooth icon in the system tray, the green bar slowly progress from left to right but the devices never did appear. Also, I fired-up my Tunsgten/E2 and tried to discover nearby Bluetooth devices but after 10 or 15 minutes, the Palm never did discover my Dell computer. I am thinking that something is wrong with the Bluetooth software on my computer? What do you think? Thanks again for any help you can give me with this issue.

9. adam3088

adam3088

If I remember correctly you need to make a device broadcast itself before it can be discovered.
    You should go into your phones bluetooth settings, make it discoverable and then click the bluetooth icon on your computer.

10. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

adam3088, thanks for the reply. When I attempt to connect my Palm Tungsten/E2 to my computer 1. I am prompted to get the LAN passkey from my network administrator and 2. I get a screen that indicates that, "Unable to connect to DELLNOTEBOOK." Also, when I double-click on the Bluetooth icon in the system tray, the "Control Panel" "Hardware and Sound" "Devices and Printers" Bluetooth Devices" appears and a green progress bar begin to go across the screen from left to right which takes several minutes to make the trip, but no devices appear whereas before icons for my Bluetooth headset and Tungsten/E2 would show up. I am thinking that some files are corrupted.

11. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

adam3088 and Frank4d, I should have mentioned that my Bluetooth headphones are working as advertised.

12. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I still don't know how to find my LAN passkey. (Also I can't seem to open "Devices and Printers" but this is another thread, and I plan to open another thread with this problem. However, I am wondering if this problem and not being able to find the LAN passkey are related. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions regarding not knowing where to find the LAN passkey issue.

13. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I found the documentation that came with the Bluetooth headphones and the Passkey was written there: 0000. Mission Accomplished.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice