1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to format a partition (D:)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by raman061189, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raman061189

raman061189 Thread Starter

Hello there,

I am using Windows XP which is installed by default on C: in my computer. I also have a D: (8GB) which was created by the recovery disk provided to me by the manufacturer (HP). Now my C: drive is almost full, so I am thinking about formatting the D: and move some contents there. I have made sure from the manufacturer (HP) that it is safe to remove the recovery partition if I have the installation DVD. SO, before going on to format it using the right-click menu (right-click over the D: icon int 'My Computer') I thought of seeking your advise if it is safe to do so?? I mean does it affect the data on C: in any way, because I have a single physical drive and these are logical partitions. Please tell me if it is safe, and if it is not then tell me any other way to do it. I urgently need some free space on my computer, but cannot buy a new hard-disk before the last-week this month!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance!!

2. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Wow never removed a partition before unless reformatting the whole disc never thought of that, why do you have to take the partition away? I just use the other side if I have a partition to save stuff on, if your disc was already formatted when you got it you should not have to reformat the other side, and if I want to save an image just wack another drive in and boot to it and save an image, the other side of the partition can be used like any disc space, usually I use it to put files on. And just keep programs on the C drive.

You can just reformat just that partition and then put stuff on it i dont think you have to remove the partition.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Why not temporarily move some files to a CD/DVD/etc. Then put them back on the new HDD.

BTW: You should be regularly backing up your system and files. I do it at least weekly to a dedicated, external HDD. This seems to be the recommended way. Since more than one backup is also recommended here at TSG, I backup data files to a DVD, too.

{redoak}

4. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I see your specs have an 80 gig hard drive
    Gaining 8 gigs by trashing your recovery isnt worth the gain.
    If you are using that much space and need room
    Thumb drives are cheap and easy..you can move some stuff to them
    Dvds are even cheaper.
    I see you have also two 40 gig external hard drives.
    It appears as if you save alot of files and 8 gigs will soon be used up anyway.
    With a little shopping you can buy a 250 to 320 gig hd at a reasonable price.
    I highly recommend leaving the recovery partition alone.
    Its not worth the gain to trash it.
    I have seen recovery disks that do not work.

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

You can delete all the most recent restore point to get u back some space.
    Then do a disk cleanup
    then disable your hibernation file
    you will get about 8 gigs right there

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice