1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] How to format new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ruffnredy, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

I'm putting an extra hard drive in my friends system and I can't find the proper procedure in my school book. This is my 3rd format but this time I'm leaving the origonal in place as master. I'm not going to do anything to that one. The system has XP Home and I will use ntfs. The new 160 gb hd did not come w/any inst. cd. It is man. by Seagate. I'm not real experienced so please give explicit inst. Thank You

2. brianF

brianF

after installation and reboot, go to start/conrtol panel/admin tools/computer management/disk management. The new hard drive should show up there, you can select it and partition if you wish, then format from within windows

3. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

I agree with the advice of BrianF.....also, if a Seagate or other type drive, you can download their utility from the manufacturer's website for free.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You must sp1 or sp1a installed to use drives of 137 gig or more.

That is the correct way to install a drive with xp or win2k; disk management>partition>format.

5. max 8

max 8

Just make sure you have it jumpered as the slave and do as BrianF suggested.

6. ruffnredy

ruffnredy Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Done Deal!!!!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/226420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice