Solved: how to get laptop off when it freezes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rubeckf

Ruth
I've been trying to help a neighbor with her laptop. She couldn't get on line at all. I took it to a friend yesterday that owns a computer shop. He couldn't get anything to work either and told me to re-install windows xp home. I just tried to do that. When I was about 3/4 through it said it couldn't find the file migregdb.ex in I-386. It is a home version with sp2 on it. I tried putting in the disk sp2 and said to look in D drive. It would never find it. I tried to cancel the entire thing and it kept going. When Windows XP screen came on it has the hour glass and says please wait. This has been going on for 20 min or more. I don't know much about laptops. It's a Dell Inspiron 1100. What to do from here?? Does anyone know what that file is. I've searched google and microsoft. Please help!!

It may be a corrupted Installation CD. Do you have another one to try? Can you borrow one from you computer friend?

rubeckf

Ruth
yes, I have another CD and have tried that. It just stays stuck!! It was going real good at first and then I got that error message. I've used that CD before with no problem. I can take it to my computer friend tomorrow, but how can I get it off tonight?? I've tried doing everything I know to do to get it off.

rubeckf

Ruth
I have it plugged in so the battery won't go down. Will it hurt to leave it til morning like that?

rubeckf

Ruth
I ended up re-installing windows xp this a.m. after all else failed. Now it gets on the net. I still have lots of programs to install for her in the next few days. Thanks for your suggestions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online