Solved: How to get rid of the logon screen?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

matrim

I feel a little embarassed asking, but how do I get rid of it? I think it is related to something i changed in networking, but I can't remember. The comp used to just boot up into windows, but now I have to select the user to get it to finish loading/booting up.

I've gone into user accounts and tried setting various things like the guest account on, and that just gives more logon options. What can I do? :rolleyes:

which OS are you using

if your on windows xp, make sure your user account has no password ser and make sure you only have 1 user account

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
For Windows XP
start > run > control userpasswords2

Uncheck the box "User must enter a username......."

matrim

Thanks guys that did the trick. I did have more than one user account for some reason:

Admin (currently me)
Administrator
ASPNET

Whats the ASPNET? Do i need guest? or the other Administrator or can i remove?

go to your control panel and open users

then disable the guest

you cant remove guest, but you can disable it

(not needed)

not sure what that other one is.

if your the only one using the pc, remove it

if your not, check with other people

a account named administrator should be hidden

check to see if you have 2 accounts named "administrator"

ASPNET sounds like a computer company... where did you buy your computer or did you take it in anywhere?

matrim

Hmm,
Well something's wrong, lately after changing that I have two accounts that seem to be loading and my processes have doubled to over 60, many of which are duplicate programs that seem to be running for one user (Administrator) and my account (which I named Admin, cuz I thought it'd be the only account). So after setting it so it would bypass the log on screen, it goes to Administrator's account which is empty of preferences etc. How can I get it to go to my account or transfer my account to the actual admin account? And also do something about my duplicate processes running?

ps. is there a way to 'unsolve' a post? :)

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi matrim

I have removed the Solved status from the title.

Looking in Task Manager, under the Processes tab, can you see the two accounts that are running?

Start > Run
Key in:
control userpasswords2

Select the User Account you want to automatically login.

matrim

Hi,
Thanks for that. I did do the run control passwords2 already per the instruction previously posted in this thread :). The problem is, when it loads, I now get the Administrator account loaded and the Admin (my user account) running in the background and so there are now over 6o processes running (from cntrl-alt-delete), many of which are processes running in both accounts(duplicates), so obviously my machine runs less smooth that way :). Do I just run the machine from Administrator and restart preferences in that manner, then remove the Admin account?

I have 4 accounts after run, control passwords2:

Admin Administrators
Administrator Administrators; Users
ASPNET Users
Guest Guests

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Sorry, about repeating the control userpasswords2 command. I must have overlookeded it. :eek:

If you undo the automatic login and manually login using the Admin User Account, does the Administrator account load as well?

Create a new User Account and use a name *other* than Admin or Administrator.
Login to the new User Account and see if any other User Accounts appear to be loading as well.

Copy the Admin User Account over to the new User Account:
How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile

How do I copy a user profile in Windows XP? Why is the COPY TO button grayed out?
Adding the Administrator Account to the Windows XP Welcome Screen

How To Assign a Mandatory User Profile in Windows XP
How to create a custom default user profile
How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
Recover a damaged Windows XP user profile
Installing and running software in Windows XP

When creating new User Accounts, login to the new User Account once, to create the necessary file structure, before copying user accounts.

matrim

First off, Let me say thanks for the help. This whole forum for the most part has been very helpful, and to others not just myself with comments that aren't demeaning. (y)

When I unchecked the box to to have the login screen, rebooted. Upon restart, it took forever long, and went into a new screen I believe was the Administrator's because it was the usual background and color of an initial Windows install (didn't have my background or other color/font preferences). I looked at the processes and found that it was running what looked like some same processes and after logging off that Administrator account the Admin(my account)loaded very quickly. So I'm assuming it loaded both?

I'm not sure why it chose to load into Administrator and not Admin when I unchecked the box?
Thanks for the other links, I'll have a chance to look at them later.

ps. if i want to log directly into windows without the login screen, am i restricted to only load into the Administrator's account? If so, thats why i asked about the copying of preferences etc.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
You're welcome.
I am not quite sure what happened, it almost sounds as if the Admin User Account is corrupted.
If you create a new User Account with Admin Privileges and login to the new User Account, you should be able to tell if there are any other User Accounts running using the:
Task Manager > Processes tab Place a check mark in: Show Processes from all users.
Switching over to the Users tab in Task Manager should also show you all User Accounts that are currently running.
You can also logoff a user from that window.

When you set up the automatic login, did you verify which User Account it would be starting with?
One time, I enabled the automatic login, not paying attention to the Administrator account being highlighted. Windows attempted to load the Administrator account, the process went over 10 minutes, the screen saver finally kicked in and the Welcome screen presented itself. Whew!
I double check now when I play around with that setting. ;)

matrim

When you set up the automatic login, did you verify which User Account it would be starting with?
One time, I enabled the automatic login, not paying attention to the Administrator account being highlighted. Windows attempted to load the Administrator account, the process went over 10 minutes, the screen saver finally kicked in and the Welcome screen presented itself. Whew!
I double check now when I play around with that setting.
Hehe, that is/was EXACTLY the problem i was trying to describe. :) I just highlighted the right one and unchecked the box, and walla.

Thanks ;)

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Woohoo! Once again persistence pays off. :p voilà :p
Thanks for letting us know the solution. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts