1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to get rid of vestiges of Weatherbug?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ajramsay, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajramsay

ajramsay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Alice
    A long time ago I signed up for Weatherbug and discovered that it was a pain and used Add/Remove Programs to get rid of it. In cleaning up spyware and adware recently, I was using msconfig and noticed that the startup option for "Tray Temperature" which would execute Weatherbug is still there. It is not checked, but I don't understand why it's still there as a choice. I searched my PC and found that WEATHERBUG.INI still exists in my WINDOWS directory. I've caused myself great problems by deleting things without knowing what was still expecting it to be there, so I'm reluctant to just delete that file. But I've searched the Internet to no avail to find anyone else seeing this problem.

I have Windows98. Weatherbug.exe and the associated directory are gone. Why is Weatherbug.ini still there? How can I get rid of it? I have Spybot and Ad-aware if that makes any difference. Any suggestions great appreciated. :confused:

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

You can try this...

ADVANCED WEATHERBUG UNINSTALL

If you need to remove any remaining files from the registry, after completing the normal uninstall, continue to the following steps:

1. Click on the Windows START Button then select RUN.
    2. In the RUN box, type "regedit" (without the quotes) then click OK. This will open your Windows Registry Editor (following ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, some of these keys will already be removed -- if you do not find a key, please move on to the next step).
    3. Click on the plus sign next to the folder named HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    4. Click on the plus sign next to the folder named Software
    5. Click on the folder, "AWS," to highlight it
    6. Press the DELETE key on your keyboard and choose "YES" to delete this folder
    7. Click on the plus sign next to the folder named Microsoft
    8. Click on the plus sign next to the folder named Windows
    9. Click on the plus sign next to the folder named CurrentVersion
    10. Click on the folder named Run to highlight it (only the "Run" folder)

In the right-hand pane, look for a line stating "Weather." If you see it, please click on it to highlight it then press the DELETE key on your keyboard and select
    "YES."

To delete the AWS directory: Click Windows START, PROGRAMS, and WINDOWS EXPLORER.
    If you accepted the default installation, please click on the "+" beside PROGRAM FILES and then highlight the AWS folder. Press the DELETE key on your keyboard and select YES or OK.

While still in Windows Explorer, click on the WINDOWS folder to highlight it. In the right-hand pane, scroll all the way to the end and look for a file labeled "WeatherBug.ini."
    Highlight the file and press the DELETE key on your keyboard and select YES or OK.

(On some versions of Windows, you may have to click on a link in the right-hand pane of EXPLORER and select a link that will show all files in that folder).

Restart your computer and the uninstall is complete.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here and download and install EasyCleaner 2.06.373. Once it's installed, open its main window and click the "Registry" button. Once the scan is finished, browse through the entries and click on the ones that pertain to WeatherBug, then click Delete. Click the "Unnecessary" button and repeat the same steps.

I've never had a problem with deleting ALL entries that it finds, but I'll let you make that decision.

4. ajramsay

ajramsay Thread Starter

First Name:
    Alice
    Thanks for the suggestions. There were no registry entries related to Weatherbug, and no AWS directory. So I removed Weatherbug.ini and the computer was fine with that. However, when I ran 'msconfig' and looked at the Startup tab, "Tray temperature" which would execute Weatherbug.exe, was still in the list of things to be checked. So then I downloaded Easycleaner per the other suggestion. It didn't find anything wrong in the Startup. I decided to check the "Tray temperature" option in msconfig and restart my PC. For some reason, the PC had no problem restarting, even though my checking that option meant executing a file that was not there. Weird. But then I was able to use Easycleaner to examine the Startup programs. It correctly identified "Tray temperature" as a problem entry; I used Easycleaner to delete the entry. Now it no longer shows up in the 'msconfig' Startup list, which was exactly what I wanted. So thanks for the help! That was way more trouble than it should have been, but I'm glad to have gotten rid of those last little bits! Thank you. :D

5. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Glad to hear it's fixed (y) :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270282

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice