1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) How to import address book?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Oldwest, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oldwest

Oldwest Thread Starter

I had to change ISP's because server is going defunct. I use Netscape Messenger for email and need to export (or import) my address book (also Bookmarks)from the old server to new server. I have tried both the export from the old server and import from the new server with no success. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I should do? Thanks.

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

why do you think you need to do anything with the address book and bookmark?

netscape is installed on your PC right? then the address book and bookmarks are also stored there, on your hard drive

the only changes, unless i'm missing something, will be to your identity settings - the pop3 and smtp addresses for sending and receiving email:

(netscape 4.7 config, newer versions may differ slightly)
    on the main toolbar
    edit
    preferences
    mail & newsgroup folder
    mail servers
    incoming: click to highlight, edit, server name, enter new server name from ISP, enter user name
    outgoing: enter the name of your new smtp server from the new isp, enter user name

also edit the identity information and newsgroup information as needed

and of course you'll need to notify the people you want to of your email address change

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I agree with jbcalg........ everything is the same unless you have formatted or installed windows over windows.
    All you need is a new dialup connection with the proper #'s for it to dial & change the pop3 & smtp addresses for your IE ( Outlook Express )mail accounts. Netscape is webmail & therefore shouldn't have to be changed at all.

Savvy :)

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

i thought he was referring to using netscape messenger as you would OE - identities, pop3/smtp, server setup, etc (as we do for some of our too many email accounts)

but as you said, if it's netscape webmail then he just connects after modifying his DUN #s, opens netscape, and clicks his links

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

jb... I misread that.............you are correct.
    Yes on Netscape messenger service for e-mail its the same setup as for OE.
    My apoligy.

you can't import the addressbook once you've changed the domain.......the addresses must match to import them

6. Oldwest

Oldwest Thread Starter

My mountain turned into a molehill! Thank you all so very much for straightening me out. My biggest problem is that I don't think like a computer and try to make a big deal out of a little one. I am back in business with my address book and bookmarks. It's really great to have such good assistance! :)

7. jbcalg

jbcalg

so what worked, and what did you do?

helps for future reference

glad you're back in business

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Glad its working out for you

9. Oldwest

Oldwest Thread Starter

I had installed my new email address and kept my old address also (the ISP was still in business).
    I was going to keep my old address for a time so I could continue to get subscriptions etc until such time as I could notify them of my new address. I found that I could only use the address book and bookmarks with one email address--not two. As soon as I disabled the old address, I could use the address book and bookmarks with the new email address with no problem. Live and learn. I really appreciate your help tho, because your input indirectly helped me to see what was wrong.

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Thats what I figured...lol
    well you got it now... :)

Savvy

11. jbcalg

jbcalg

thx for the follow up, always nice to know what works - and doesn't - in a set of circumstances

you have added to the enormous & gigantic body of knowledge that exists in the forum LOL

btw
    - that's one reason i use Outlook Express, can have multiple accounts and multiple identities with multiple accounts
    - presently have 12 email accounts or so for 3 of us

most days i have no idea who i am!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!