1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to install legal copy of XP over pirated copy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Snoflake, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snoflake

Snoflake Thread Starter

My 89 yr old mother-in-law bought a desktop from an estate sale. Said she was told it had a 'pirated' copy of XP on it. Called me to find out what that was. She only wanted the computer to do e-mail and FaceBook with the grandkids and great-grandkids. Said she only paid $20 and wanted to know if I could "fix" it. Now, I do have a legal copy of XP that was on a computer that has long since bit the dust. The XP program was an upgrade from ME. I would like to help her and wonder if I could take my upgrade legal CD of XP and just put it in the machine and copy over the 'pirated' copy?

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    My mother in law (similar age to yours) was stuck with a pirated copy of XP by her helpful(!!??) son - it was awful ... nothing worked etc etc. She too only uses it for browsing & email.

I therefore wiped her desktop by installing a free & legal operating system called Ubuntu. Download the .iso image, burn to CD, boot machine from that CD and click install using the defaults. My mum in law has had no trouble at all adjusting to a different o/s.

The current Ubuntu version needs a DVD & an older desktop might not boot from DVD, but there's a "lighter" version of Ubuntu called Lubuntu that fits on a CD.

Ubuntu info: http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/features
    Lubuntu info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

I hope this suggestion is of interest?

Richard

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Was the ME OEM? If so, the XP Upgrade became OEM (locked to that machine) when it replaced the ME. If this is the case then the XP license prevents it from being transferred to a different machine.

If you try Ubuntu/Lubuntu and neither work for some reason try the much smaller Puppy Linux.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You can use the CD, BUT you will have to pay for a proper licence.
    You can do that over the phone (or possibly online) and MS will give you a key after taking your money.
    When it asks for the licence key choose the option to ring MS.

5. Snoflake

Snoflake Thread Starter

Thanks all, talked to MIL this morning told her that she would have to pay for a legal copy of XP probably cost about $99. She said if that was the case, she" would just buy one of those $199 'things' (meaning laptop) at Walmart and get all the update stuff". No guessing what the elderly will do or what Walmart is selling things for.

6. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Glad to read it's solved!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Still worth trying Richard's Linux suggestion. For using a browser and email Linux is at least as good and easy and faster than Windows.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice