1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to install wine?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by jcdf, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

I am quite knowledgeable with Windows but not so with Linux Ubuntu. Which is why I have to ask this basic question. How do I install “wine” on my Ubuntu operating system. I have downloaded the file “wine_1.1.5~winehq0~ubuntu~8.04-0ubuntu1_i386.deb” on to the Desktop and extracted three files into a like named folder also on the desktop. What do I do to install wine with the other applications?

2. jdean

jdean

Like you, I'm not a Linux expert, but it sure sounds like you're doing this the hard way. Ubuntu and other modern Linux systems have some kind of package manager with a graphical user interface. You use the package manager to select the packages you want, and then you press the "install it" button -- and you're done.

You should not need to go to a site, download files, and then manually install.

Sorry, I don't remember the name of the Ubuntu utility but if you look on the menus, you will find it. My son went through the same exercise with wine under Fedora (actually, it was worse -- he tried to compile wine), and when he asked for help, we found the Fedora package manager and presto, we had it working within minutes.

3. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

Yes I know what you talking about. It's in System-> Administration-> Synaptic Package Manager. The problem is I cannot find the wine package within this application.

4. arochester

arochester

Just RIGHT click on the .deb and choose: Install with Gdebi

5. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

I have done it. Thankyou for the advise

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice