1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to install XP over windows7 ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by momtaz, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Hello guys

I was trying to install XP in laptop "Acer aspire 2920Z" which is currently running with windows7. every time I press F2 to log in to setup it takes me to a page titled "Phoenix TrustedCore (tm) Setup Utility" and under this title a bule band has 5 categories" information, Main, Security, Boot and Exit, I went to Boot and selected: Boot priority order: and there are 7 titles or options.. I tried all of them for many many times.. even I knew I must selced: CD/DVD: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N-( did this many many times... but the XP CD never loaded..!!

any options or alternatives to rid of this win7 pls?
    I am really in need if a quick reply with lot of thanks indeed,
    Regrds

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

In the BIOS Setup, the CD/DVD must be first.
    Be sure you save the changes when exiting.

Then boot the system with the XP CD in the drive.
    You should be prompted to Press any key to boot from CD
    If you don't see that (it's only displayed for 5 seconds), test the CD in another PC to make sure it's bootable.

Have you downloaded all the XP drivers from the Acer Website?

3. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

hi theOutCaste: I was trying and modified to enable F12 as booting key, and saw press any key to boot from CD as you mentioned, after this when reach to delete C and after creat new partation C then install the XP on it, now I am seeing: "Unknown Disk" (There is not disk in this drive,) it's very confusing to see there is no any disk? and all my doc. are in drive D.
    how to do to solve this unexpected issue?? so confusing...!!
    mant thanks for the kind efforts again,

Regrds

4. valis

valis Moderator

just out of curiosity, why are you looking to downgrade?

5. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

lot of problems... some websites are blocked or not displayed by, some of my softaware cannot be installed....finally VERY BORING OS.. I liked XP the most and best OS I work with convenience..

so pls I need answer to solved how to rid of OS and throw it out of my machine

6. valis

valis Moderator

No worries........in that case, listen to TheOutcaste, as he's forgotten more about this stuff than most will ever learn. :)

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You'll probably need to slipstream the SATA driver into a new XP CD, or check in the BIOS and see if there is an option to set the SATA controller to IDE mode.
    See this post for more info:
    Installing XP on a SATA hard drive

Since ASUS doesn't have Win7 drivers for this system, I'm assuming it originally came with XP or Vista

8. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

TheOutcaste, thanks for providing this solution.. seemingly similar to my problem, but there is no floppy disk driver in my laptop,
    and where I can find SATA driver?

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The driver can be downloaded from the Acer support site.
    It's the 2nd one in the list, SATA AHCI Driver.
    File name is AHCI_Intel_7.6.0.1011_XPx86.zip
    However, this just has a utility to create a floppy disk, no easy way to access the files to use with nlite to slipstream a disk, unless you have a system with a floppy drive.
    I've created the floppy, then zipped the files up and attached them to this post. Extract them to a folder, then browse to that folder when adding the driver in nlite.

Here's a guide to using nlite to slipstream SP3 and a SATA driver. If you don't need to slipstream the Service Pack, just skip those parts.

Nlite does need to have MS .NET Framework 2.0 or later installed, it will prompt you if it's needed.
    Download the SP3 file from Microsoft and put it on the Desktop.
    Download and extract the files for the SATA Controller.
    Download and install nLite, then run the program. If you need to install .NET Framework, you'll be prompted.
    Click Yes, and it will open your browser on the Microsoft download page for .NET Framework 2.0.
    Click the Download button on the MS Web page, and save the file on your Desktop. Double click the file to install .NET Framework 2.0.
    Restart nLite.

Create a new folder in the root of your drive. (You can also do this from within nLite).

• Click Start | My Computer
    • Double click the C: Drive
    • Click File, point to New, click Folder
    • Type XPCD for the name of the folder
      You can use any drive and any name. You can use an existing folder, but the folder must be empty.
    Put the XP CD into the drive. If the Welcome to Microsoft Windows screen appears, click Exit.
    Switch back to Nlite.
    Click Next.
    Click Browse and select the CD drive. Click OK.
    You'll get a warning box:
    Select where to save the CD installation files for modification.
    Choose or create an empty folder.

Click OK.
    The file browser should reopen. Select the C:\XPCD folder. Click OK.
    nlite will copy the files, and display info about the XP version when finished.
    Click Next.
    Don't need to do anything on the Presets screen so click Next.
    In the Integrate section click Service Pack and Drivers.
    In the Create section click Bootable ISO.
    These buttons should now have a green dot, the others will all be red.
    Click Next.
    We now need to tell nLite where the SP file is at.
    Click Select. Browse to the Desktop and select the SP3 file (WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe).
    Click Open.
    nLite will begin Slipstreaming. This can take several minutes.
    You'll see an Extracting Files dialog, then a Software Installation Update Wizard dialog, showing the progress as the files are integrated.
    When finished, you'll get a success message box, click on OK.
    You'll be back at the nLite screen where you selected the Service Pack file.
    Click Next.
    On the Drivers screen, click on Insert tab at the bottom.
    Click on Single Driver.
    Browse to the folder with the driver files you extracted.
    Select the inf file. Intel drivers may have more than one file, you can choose either.
    Click Open.
    Select Textmode driver
    Click on any one of the displayed options, then press CTRL+A to select them all.
    Click OK.
    Click Next.
    You'll get a dialog "Do you want to apply the changes?"
    Click Yes.
    When finished, click Next.
    On the Bootable ISO Screen, you can change the default label (WinLite) to something more descriptive like XPPro-SP3 or XPHome-SP3.
    Then click Make ISO.
    Select a location and name for the ISO File, then click Save.
    I'd save it on the Desktop, and name it XPPro-SP3.iso.
    You can then use your favorite burning software to burn the image to disk, or use nlite to burn the image to disk.
    To use Nlite, just change the Mode drop down from Create Image to Burn Image.

If you don't have ISO burning software, here's a couple of free ones. I'd recommend the ISO Recorder for this, it easy to use.

ISO Burning Software

ISO Recorder
    Img Burn
    ISO Recorder is one of the easiest you'll find. It doesn't install as a program, but adds itself to the context menu. Right click on an ISO file and click Copy image to CD
    A simple Recording Wizard appears.
    You can Select the source, either a different file or a CD.
    Select the burner if you have more than one, and set Speed and if it should eject when finished.
    Click Next and it burns the image.
    Click Finish when it completes.

Img Burn is a full fledged program with lots of features, very useful, but overkill for this purpose.

Attached Files:

10. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

TheOutcate, it was solved, and I would like to express my deep thanks and high appreciation for the kind efforts indeed,

have a great day and many thanks for Tech guys.. always helpful and I should be very very Thankful too...

Merry Xmass, Happney New Year 2011.. and peace to all nations :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice