Solved: How to limit access on network to one person

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

habster

Here's what I have:

4 pc's hooked wireless to our main pc, all are networked together.
All use Xp pro

The modem is a Comtrend CT 301 ADSL
Router is a D-Link DL 52
The signal is encrypted
Each pc reach the net through the router.

I desire for staff to have full PC access except for the network, except for myself. Need to have access to the network from any computer.

I also need to access that network from home. My home pc runs xp home.

thanks

I desire for staff to have full PC access except for the network, except for myself. Need to have access to the network from any computer.
If you mean access the internet then you have to look to see if the router supports blocking to specific machines (most SOHO's do not support this) if you mean the network shares then simply just share to your username and do not share your username and password to anyone. If they aren't shared to the others they won't be able to access it.

I also need to access that network from home. My home pc runs xp home.
You can either download the remote desktop cliebnt and remote desktop to a work PC or you can load UltraVNC on both PCs and use this to connect in. Don't foget you have to configure your work router in both cases.

habster

StumpedTechy said:
If you mean access the internet then you have to look to see if the router supports blocking to specific machines (most SOHO's do not support this) if you mean the network shares then simply just share to your username and do not share your username and password to anyone. If they aren't shared to the others they won't be able to access it.

You can either download the remote desktop cliebnt and remote desktop to a work PC or you can load UltraVNC on both PCs and use this to connect in. Don't foget you have to configure your work router in both cases.
Yes It's network shares, how do I set shares for the network?

Right click on a directory and pick sharing and security then go into either the security tab once shared to set who has access. Remove anyone who you want to have no access.

habster

StumpedTechy said:
Right click on a directory and pick sharing and security then go into either the security tab once shared to set who has access. Remove anyone who you want to have no access.
Do I have to go to each computer and set up an admin account with password (Same as on my computer) and the set up an other account for that staff.

TerryNet

Terry
"Do I have to go to each computer and set up an admin account with password (Same as on my computer) and the set up an other account for that staff."

I'm sure that's what StumpedTechy had in mind. I think that the use of different user accounts is the only way to tell XP that one person or group may access a file but another person or group may not.

habster

TerryNet said:
"Do I have to go to each computer and set up an admin account with password (Same as on my computer) and the set up an other account for that staff."

I'm sure that's what StumpedTechy had in mind. I think that the use of different user accounts is the only way to tell XP that one person or group may access a file but another person or group may not.
I'll set up a test account on my computer and then try to limit it's access. When I perfect it I will set it up on the other ones. Stay tuned.

habster

Having problems.

Turned on guest account and it seemed right, when logged on as guest I could't see my network. I wasn't sure if this was the correct way, so I turned it off and created an another account but when I checked under my network, everything that I don't want for them to see was there, all my network paths.

I tried setting permission on those folders but there is nothing under properties.

Before I go any further, I felt I should ask you good folks on what to do next.

Do I go back to the guest account and delete the new account I created, or
do I adjust this one, please advise, I feel I'm getting close, just need a few tweaks.

thanks

Guest account really isn't the best to be using usualy its creating a new one for the machine. If everyone uses Admin then you can't lock down the share just to admin becaue then everyone would still have access.

Are you setting these properties on the machine that has the folders? You cannot set permissions on a network share from a remote computer. Also a BIG questions is are you using Simple file sharing? If so TURN it off. simple file sharing does not let you get into the level of locking specific people out.

habster

StumpedTechy said:
Guest account really isn't the best to be using usualy its creating a new one for the machine. If everyone uses Admin then you can't lock down the share just to admin becaue then everyone would still have access.

Are you setting these properties on the machine that has the folders? You cannot set permissions on a network share from a remote computer. Also a BIG questions is are you using Simple file sharing? If so TURN it off. simple file sharing does not let you get into the level of locking specific people out.
OK I understand about the guest account now, won't use it.
I did turn off the simple file sharing.

Are you setting these properties on the machine that has the folders? You cannot set permissions on a network share from a remote computer.

I don't quite follow the question. Are you asking me if I'm actually working and trying to set the permissions on the same computer? I set up the new account on the same computer that I'm working on. When I log into the new account and click into My Network Places, there's all the paths to the other computers on my network. It even lets you access them, that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Maybe I'm thick, could you please go step by step.
I've set up the new account, what do I do next?

habster

Morning folks, I have good news. I have solved my immediate problem.

I have limited access to my network by turning off the, "My Network". "turn of this display: under, taskbar,properties, start menu, advanced. I then set permissions denying access to all the folders except the shared ones. At first I denied access to c:\programs, but I soon found out that it was a mistake and reset permissions back.

Now I did all this after creating another account and I kepped logging back and forth between the 2 accounts, setting and resetting permissions until I was satisfied with my settings.

I thanks you for all your help.

Claude

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You are playing with fire using the DENY, many people have shot themselves in the foot with that. ;)

habster

JohnWill said:
You are playing with fire using the DENY, many people have shot themselves in the foot with that. ;)
Do you mean I should Just give and take away permissions and not use the DENY at all. Please enlighten me as I don't want to make things worst, I have a habit of doing that.:)

I really never use deny at all either.

If you don't grant the permissions the user can't get in but if you deny the user and then at some later time have to put them in a group or something to grant them access they won't be able to get in because of the deny that was set.

Just ease of administrations sake is why Johnwill is suggesting not using deny. Just don't grant and you'll be fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online