1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to make a VPN on a VPS?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Chris_p, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chris_p

Chris_p Thread Starter

Hello guys! I was wondering how I could make a small VPN server for a couple of friends. I was thinking of using a VPS but I don't know exactly know which one I should get. Any recommended services or companies would be great... Thank You!

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What are you intending to do with this VPN? Are you providing access to some resource hosted on this VPS? Are you looking to interconnect each other's networks together?

3. Chris_p

Chris_p Thread Starter

I am intending on making a service like freevpn.me but on a smaller scale. We are just going to use the VPN for privacy.

4. geek117

geek117

5. zx10guy

Privacy for what? If you're looking for an Internet anonymizer, this is NOT a VPN. The term VPN has been too perverted by non network people. You'll have to turn the VPS into a VPN server and then into a router to make it function as a proxy.

6. Chris_p

Chris_p Thread Starter

Any recommended VPS services?

7. geek117

geek117

8. Chris_p

Chris_p Thread Starter

If you have any other tips, that would be much appreciated. Thank you for your help zx10guy and geek117.

9. Chris_p

Chris_p Thread Starter

So companies such as VPNbook and VPNgate are considered Internet Anonymizers?

10. geek117

geek117

That's the idea. Otherwise, all you're doing is connecting into someone else's internal network. Without any routing, the traffic then stays in their LAN. The point of the VPN is to get the client to a secure proxy to forward their web requests to. From the poor English on their websites, I wouldn't trust those services.

11. zx10guy

(y)

Geek117 summed it up. This is why I'm up in arms about this notion about using these so called VPN services as some how making your web browsing more "secure". As geek pointed out, the only secure part of it is the encrypted tunnel it creates between you, the client, and their network. From there, your Internet traffic gets repackaged and then sent out looking like the traffic originated from the provider's network....theoretically removing the IP address (your name tag) identifying that activity as coming from you. If you choose to surf questionable sites which may have malware, you're still going to be exposed just like if you were to use your original ISP's connection.

I've had debates about the validity of these "VPN" services and to me they're no better than P2P, Torrent, or file sharing type services. The only reason I can see why someone would be looking into services like this is if they are looking to hide their activities which they most likely wouldn't admit in an open setting.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!