1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HOW TO make bootable Vista Image

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by compΓex, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compΓex

compΓex Thread Starter

Hello all,

I wish to make a bootable Windows Vista image file. I have a .iso file on which I used vLite to remove certain unwanted components and have finally got (LESS BLOAT) Vista installation files. I also want to add a folder(with setting for my browser and certificates for a private server) to the installation disc and make this whole thing a bootable image which I can then burn onto a disc . Is this possible ?
    I have a few ISO utilities that may help.

Any help is appreciated (y)

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

What OS are you burniong thsi from.

XP has a powertoy that you can download for free, there are also some free third party apps that will do the same.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you explain what you mean by a bootable vista image?

Do you want to make a DVD that will boot to Vista itself.
    Do you want to make an image with a program like Acronis True Image, copy that to a DVD, and then boot with Acronis but have that image on the same DVD?

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

I have used Acronis TI 10 to clone Vista Ultimate 32 bit from 1 SATA HDD, 80 GB; to a 2nd
    80 GB SATA HDD.

This method may be less costly and time consuming if your HDD is really large, requiring perhaps scores or hundreds of DVDs.

RF123

5. techy689

techy689

so you make your image?

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

s4baz, is your question for me or someone else?

If for me, I don't use an image. I use NG 2003 and Acronis TI 10 to clone from the HDD that is important to me, to a 2nd HDD.

An 80 GB HDD image would take tens to hundreds of CDs and up to 20 DVDs. Using NG 2003 or A TI10, I can clone to another HDD in less than an hour.
    Cloning software costs $50.
    80 HDD costs < $50 at new egg, for example

I use KingWin racks / modules, which cost <$40 ea at New Egg.

My upfront cost is ~$200.
    If my HDD fails, data becomes corrupt, I turn off the PC, pull the HDD, insert the backup
    [drive to which I cloned my data ] & I am up & running within 5 minutes. Literally < 5 min.

If an image is used, you need to obtain another HDD, [ hard to do at 1am ], restore the image to the new HDD.

I use TI 10 & NG 2003 because the cloning can be done without installing said program to the HDD. This reduces the likelihood of drive corruption. Corruption is unlikely, but possible. Admittedly, I am gun shy. I have seen Windows XP blow up from a mouse driver.
    RF123

7. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

The vLite shrunk Vista deprives you of some of the Vista new facilities and brings you back close to an advanced XP installation. However, I can see where you are going. I use a little program called magiciso. It has a facility to burn an ISO to CD or the reverse. If you google you will find various sources for downloads. It leads you through the process you require, in simple stages and allows you to add on the extra files/folders (which I understand is what you are seeking) Read the prompts carefully and you should be succesful.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

U:
    Cool!

RF123

9. compΓex

compΓex Thread Starter

first of all apologies for not posting for so long..(i was making a fresh install)
    ok, i finally made it. Using vLite and UltraISO. (magicISO is very much the same)
    Removed some unneeded drivers and all traditional languages that saved some spacewith vlite ,then copied the files that i wanted on the install disk(certificates and all)
    Then made a bootable image in UltraISO by selecting boot.bin from vlite installation and files the modified installation files.
    Finally burnt it on DVD...working fine ATM :)
    ~~~THE END~~~~​

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/551134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice