1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to move email to another computer

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BearMom, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

My dinosaur win98 hard drive acts like it's about to bite the dust. I have a laptop with winxp and would like to slide my long-time email address from the pc to the laptop. Is this something I can do or does the ISP have to make the change?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you using Outlook Express now? And when you say "slide" your email address, do you want to transfer old emails, or just simply check your new emails from now on, with the laptop?

3. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I did this for a friend last weekend. We moved e-mail from her dying Dell laptop to her shiny new MacBook. She used Mozilla Thunderbird as her e-mail client on both systems and I connected the hard drive from her dying Dell laptop to her new MacBook using an external USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure I have. The mail came over smoothly.

If we know which e-mail application you use, we can better assist you.

Peace...

4. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

I have Outlook Express 6 on my pc. What I want is to activate Outlook on my laptop so that emails that come from our ISP email server will now land in the laptop's Outlook rather than in Outlook Express on my pc. (I don't keep old emails so moving them is not an issue.) I just do not want to change my email address. I know there's a way to switch over but I don't know how to do it.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi BearMom

All you need to do is setup your e-mail account and server settings on the laptop, you can have your e-mail account setup on both machines, at the same time.

Once you download your messages into your e-mail program on one machine, the messages will no longer be available to the other machine, unless you enable the option: Leave a copy of messages on the server.

What version of Outlook are you using on the laptop?

6. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

The laptop has Outlook 2003 on it. Your description would be ideal, to have access to both emails with a copy left on the server. How do I set up the laptop Outlook to receive email and where do I go to set "leave a copy of the server"?

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

What e-mail program are you using now?
    Do you know where to locate your e-mail account settings in the current e-mail program?

If you are not prompted to setup an e-mail address when starting Outlook:

In Outlook 2003,
    Tools > E-mail Accounts > Add a new e-mail account > Next > POP3 > Next
    Fill in your e-mail settings.
    Click the More Settings button > Advanced tab
    Place a check mark in: Leave a copy of messages on the server
    OK, Next, Finish

8. BearMom

BearMom Thread Starter

The pc has Outlook Express 6. I have followed your instructions but I get to the "outgoing mail" and "incoming mail" and am not sure where those numbers with decimals are coming from. The Charter ISP worker set up the pc email when we got cable internet.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Go to the computer with Outlook Express, and look at the incoming and outgoing settings there, and duplicate them on the other computer.

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

In Outlook Express:
    Tools > Accounts > (AccountName) > Properties > Servers tab

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/742032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice