1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to open a text file

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by screamoon, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. screamoon

screamoon Thread Starter

Hi,

I am trying to make a batch script that would open a text file and then read it's contents. Is there a direct command to do that in batch ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanking you
    scream

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You mean read as in audio out of the speakers? Or read as in parsing out the information for futher use in the batch file?

3. screamoon

screamoon Thread Starter

What I mean is suppose I have a text file with some file names.......I want to read the contents of the text file ( which would be some file names) and then compare those names with the files stored in some folder. I would be comparing by names......

Please help

Thank you

4. screamoon

screamoon Thread Starter

@echo off
    for /f %%a in (Files.txt) do attrib +h Output\%%a
    del Output\*.*
    for /f %%a in (Files.txt) do attrib -h Output\%%a

This is the script I am using but I am not getting the desired output. Please help me in debugging this issue.

For more information on my issue check my post called " Deleting Files Through Batch"

THank you..

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Do the file names in the text file have long names? or are they 8.3 compliant? Also do you have the .3 portion of the filename in ther e or is it going against just partial file names?

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Whtat about using the good ole Type command.

7. squidboy

squidboy

If I read this correctly, you want to hide every file name that matches, then delete all the rest, then unhide them. Is that correct?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!