Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: How to 'open' Ms' malware removal tool

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  redoak 
#1 ·
I am stuck at the point where you need to choose a program that will 'open' the tool. I don't have a clue, but have tried some with no success. Would appreciate the info. Thanks, {redoak} :)

#3 ·
Once you download and install the Malicious Software Removal Tool, it runs and then deletes itself from your computer.

Do a "search" for MRT.LOG, then open it with Notepad. It'll tell you what the scan results were. If you can't find it by doing a search, look inside C:\WINDOWS\Debug.

#4 ·
"f": There isn't anything at "MRT.Log. At 'debug' I found the following:
USERENV(388.38c) 06:15:28:093 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0
USERENV(388.38c) 06:15:28:093 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0
USERENV(388.534) 06:15:32:140 GetGPOInfo: Local GPO's gpt.ini is not accessible, assuming default state.
USERENV(388.38c) 08:39:37:062 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0
USERENV(388.38c) 08:39:37:093 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0
USERENV(388.38c) 08:39:37:093 CUserProfile::CleanupUserProfile: Ref Count is not 0
USERENV(388.534) 08:39:40:968 GetGPOInfo: Local GPO's gpt.ini is not accessible, assuming default state.
USERENV(388.1d0) 08:39:46:875 GetGPOInfo: Local GPO's gpt.ini is not accessible, assuming default state.

This is "Greek" to me. Does it have to do with the removal tool?

I am goping to check out the "KB" reference next. I'll be back.

{redoak}

#5 ·
I've never seen it create a log, it just runs and reports any problems if it detectes them. Perhaps if it detects a problem application, it creates a log? If there are no problem, as mentioned, it removes itself until the next update. You don't have to do anything special, just run the update.

#7 ·
I wanted to attach a print screen image of what I initially made reference to, but it was too large. Here, in words, is what appears when I dble clik on the icon on MY DT. [I just did a download directly fro the MS site, with the same result as before.]

OPEN WITH
Choose the program you you want to use to open this file.

Then there is a long list 'programs'. Underneath is the button "browse."

I have seen this many times in other contexts, and seldom have I been able to put my finger on the right program to open the relevant file. That istrue here again.

{redoak} :confused:

#11 ·
'j': I know the words "Windows Installer" but I have never had any experience with it. How would I go about indicating that it be tried as a program to open the MRT? Would I find it using the 'Browse' button I mentioned above?
{redoak}

#12 ·
It should be in the "Open With" window when you right click on MRT.
Give me a couple of minutes to fire up my XP machine and I'll check it out.

#13 ·
My XP doesn't even give me an Open With option on the MSRT. It wouldn't do anything. I went here:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/wininstallnt.html
downloaded the 3.1 version of Windows Installer, (it should be part of XP already), installed the installer and then the MSRT would open and run.
Give that a try . (I think I'll stay with 2000 as my primary machine.)

#14 ·
"j": I successfully downloaded and installed Windows Installer. It is located in C>Windows>Prefetch (I think I have represented that close to properly.), along with a host of other programs. All of these appear to be in "Stuffit" compressed folders. Perhaps I made a bad decision to once again load "Stuffit" just a few days ago.

I found where the Installer is located by using "Search." It appears as said above when I use Windows Explorer. However, when I dble clik on the MRT icon, the same listing of programs appears as before. Nothing has changed.

I will survive without the use of the MRT, for I have multiple security programs in place that I update and employ regularly. All of us have had to spend too much time attempting to make the MRT work for me. The ? is, are there others out there faced with the same problem. Perhaps a 'moderator' could ask the proper ? in a "poll." Just a thought.

Thanks to all of you for attempting to help me. I will leave this thread open for a couple days to allow comments, etc. If they keep showing up, I'll wait longer to declare it "Solved'.

{redoak}

#16 ·
"X": Hard to believe this: After several hours of shut down, I fired up the C. and immediately saw a new icon on my DT. It was the MRT true icon. Dbl cliking brought up the intro panel and then the scan! I came out 'smelling like a rose,' which didn't surprise me. I then came here and found your latest instructions. Yesterday I did what you said to do immediately above on my own. Why did it take several reboots along the way to properly install the MRT program?

I have marked my calendar for another 'go at it' a month from now. Can't wait to see the result.

Thanks for staying with me "through thick and thin." One more learning experience for me, although with a mysterious ending.

{redoak}

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.