1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to partition hard disk?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jcdf, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

In Windows Vista, to partition the hard disk you go into "Computer Management", right click the disk and click "Shrink Volume". This creates a new partition of a selected size from the original partition.
    If you want to merge two partitions, you right click the partition to be merged into and select "Extend Volume" and then select the partition to be deleted and added to the orginal.

My problem is I do not how to do this in Windows XP, there are not the same commands available in "Computer Management" in Windows XP.

How do I partition and merge separate partitions on my hard disk in Windows XP?

2. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    By using a 3rd party partitioning tool like Paragon partition manager or Partition Magic

3. jcdf

jcdf Thread Starter

Thankyou

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Do not use Partition Magic to "merge" partitions! Many folks have reported disaster thereafter. Also, be sure to backup your HDD before "messing with" partitioning!

Here is a list of partitioning programs provided by a Moderator that I have saved.
    Partitioning Utilities, Free or Shareware - TSG ("E"), 4-08

Free:

CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    Gparted LiveCD
    Parted Magic
    Vista Recovery Disk (Shrink, expand, create, delete partitions)
    XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)
    Partition Logic
    Ranish Partition Manager
    Cute Partition Manager

Shareware:

Paragon Partition Manager
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager
    Terabyte BootIt NG
    Acronis Disk Director
    V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
    EASEUS Partition Manager
    7Tools Partition Manager
    Spotmau Partition Genius

{redoak}

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!