1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to Play Xbox 360 on Laptop Monitor

Discussion in 'Games' started by afrayedknot13, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. afrayedknot13

afrayedknot13 Thread Starter

Hello. I'm about to move into a little box of a dorm room soon and was wondering if it would be possible, or financially credible, to use my laptop as a monitor to play my xbox 360 on. I know this has been addressed before, but I keep seeing a number of different options. My computer is a Toshiba Satellite L645 with Windows 7 Home Premium operating system. My xbox is one of those newer ones, black and thinner than the original ones, and it has a built in wireless...um...receiver? Anyway, I don't mind spending a little money on a certain cord or even a capture card, but my budget is very tight, and I don't want to spend more than $30-$50 if I can. Thank you for your time.

2. ajkane

ajkane

I don't believe this is possible. You laptop monitor connects to your computer part of your laptop via metal contacts. It may be possible only if there is some cable (vga, dvi, ect.) that has the same amount of contacts. But anyway you would have take the monitor off of your laptop, and then make hardware modifications. So it is either not possible or not feasible.

3. afrayedknot13

So... There's nothing I can just plug into the computer for it to work? My computer is made in a way that keeps me from doing it? You would think that a console made by Microsoft would be more compatible with computers...

4. ajkane

ajkane

There is no monitor input on your computer like the is on a normal monitor. All laptops have are video out ports, there are no video in. You can get a cheap TV, or by a external monitor that you can connect your laptop to, as long as it has an HDMI port. But that will be over $50. I did just look that up real quick and it is possible through the computer not a direct connection to the monitor, but you would need USB 3.0, or a eSATA port. Do you have either?

5. afrayedknot13

I just looked real quick, and it looks like I have an eSATA port. It says "eSATA/(symbol for USB)". Does that help any?

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need to understand some basics of video inputs and outputs. A game console doesn't have a screen. That means it needs to output the video to some kind of display device that accepts the console's outputs. The display device needs to have corresponding inputs.

TV's are designed to display video and audio from multiple different sources such as consoles, DVD players, and even computers.

Laptops are designed to display video from their own internal parts. Laptops don't have video inputs.

eSATA is a storage interface. It allows you to connect a SATA drive externally rather than internally. It has nothing to do with audio or video.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

eSATA are genrally for exernal hard drives.

What you are looking for is something to capture the video feed. Most likely solution is to get a USB video capture box/cable like this one however I haven't used anything like this before so I am unable to confirm if it works the way you need it to.

8. afrayedknot13

@DoubleHelix I was seeing that on other threads and sites. I just didn't know if it would be different for different kinds of computers. If what you're saying is true, then I should probably abandon this "project".

@Couriant I also saw this option. If it works, then that might work out. However, DoubleHelix's advice seems to say differently...

@ajkane What is the importance of an eSATA port? Are you thinking, like Couriant, that I could use it for a capture card?

Thank you for your time and patience, guys. I know very little about computer hardware...

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't use an eSATA port to connect to a capture card. It's strictly for hard drives. You'd connect a capture card to a USB port.

I doubt a capture card will work. I suspect you'd experience poor video quality and lag. Look for more info in Xbox-specific forums or sites.

10. ajkane

ajkane

Sorry about the eSATA thing, I read the wrong post on a different forum.

11. afrayedknot13

It's alright. I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and bring a tv with me. All of this is just more technical than I was wanting to deal with right now. Thank you all for your help!

12. vscopess

vscopess

you need to get a HD/VGA cable, one end goes to the xbox and the other goes to your laptop, they cost about $20, not much for what it gives you, it shows the screen in HD, just like a tv really.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't think so. You can't connect the output port from an XBox to the output port on a laptop.

14. vscopess

vscopess

yes, one end of the lead goes directly into the xbox and the other end goes directly into the laptop.

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How do you get video output from the Xbox to the laptop by connecting to the video output port on the laptop?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1035564