1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to put folders on CD disks

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by busygrandma, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. busygrandma

busygrandma Thread Starter

I place a lot of photos on CD-R disks & am not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I format the disk in Mastered format. I then drag photos off of desktop, place on the new disk, close session & eject. Every once in a while, I'll place a disk in the computer & it just goes round & round in there & won't be recognized even though it worked fine just the night before. I will then place another disk in the drive & that works fine. Am I doing something wrong? Is "close session" equivalent to burning or as safe saving items on disk? Are the disks faulty even though they're new? Thank you for any help you can give me.

2. bp936

bp936

Welcome to TSG.
    There are sometimes faulty disks unfortunately.
    What program are you using to burn the CD?
    I usually make a folder on my desktop to collect the pictures I want to burn and then rightclick,to see properties to make sure I didn't go over the capacity of the disk. As far as i Know, all burning programs need a little space to do some housekeeping.
    What operating system are you using? and is it a CD drive or a DVD drive? I have to tell my program what I am burning, a CD or a DVD, that could also be a problem, that the settings change.

3. busygrandma

I am using Vista & using the CD drive. I insert a new CD-R disk, click on "Mastered" format so it can be read in other computers, name it & that's it. Then I edit my photos in Picasa or the program that came with my camera. After I'm done editing, I place them in a folder on my desktop, call up the formatted disk, copy & paste or drag the photos onto the disk, close the session & eject. Is that the correct way to do it? Are the photos on the disk permanently or are they just being placed there indefinitely? If there is an additional step, what is called burning, what do I do next?

4. bp936

bp936

I only have XP so the disc burning is a bit different.
    As I can see in these instructions, Vista does the formatting by itself. I would follow instructions here step by step.
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=539

According to this:

5. busygrandma

Thank you so, so much! This answered all my questions!

6. busygrandma

Quick question - After reading the article that you recommended, am I correct in assuming that after I've downloaded my info on the CD disk, give the command to "close the session" & eject, because I am using Vista, it automatically burns the info onto the CD without me having to do anything else?

7. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

I would suggest you use dedicated burning software, like ImgBurn.
    Or any of these: List Free CD/DVD Burning Software

The "also does this" features of an OS are never that good. (defrag, IE browser, WMP, etc)
    Better options exist.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice