1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to re-install browser when no browser exists...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by LaviniaLavender, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LaviniaLavender

LaviniaLavender Thread Starter

Hi, I just made an account here because I rather desperately need help, as I think I did something incredibly stupid.

My Mozilla Firefox has been giving me trouble for a while - it consistently crashed whenever I tried to select something from a drop-down menu on a certain page. Finally I decided to re-install it...and I thought I should un-install it first. Because I thought I still had Internet Explorer also on my computer; I did download it a while ago. Well, there's no trace of it to be found.

It didn't take me long to realize what I had done, so I quickly did a system restore to just yesterday. Mozilla Firefox is back as an icon and as a listed program - but when I double-click it, the hourglass appears only briefly next to my arrow for a moment, then disappears, and nothing loads.

I've tried to get the internet to open in a bunch of different ways, clicking links in my mailbox and using the Gmail symbol in my toolbar to "go to inbox," but nothing works. I know the internet's working because I can load my IM programs and talk to people.

So I just have no idea how to get the internet back on your computer when you don't have any sort of browser to begin with. I'm afraid I'm going to have to do something drastic like re-install Windows (and what's the consequences of that? Will it affect what's on my hard drive?).

So please, help will be vastly appreciated.

2. js73

js73

3. LaviniaLavender

OH thanks so much. Yeah, I obviously had to use another computer to access this site, and I have USB drives. I'll try it out and let you know whether it works.

Thanks again for being such a lifesaver. (Life, after all, does mean internet.)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What operating system do you have? If XP, you will not be able to just download and install IE since it is part of the OS.

Have there been other problems with the machine?

If XP, do you have an XP CD?

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi LaviniaLavender

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

What happens if you run this command?

Start > Run
    Key in:
    iexplore.exe
    Click: OK

6. wch_net

wch_net

Dear Lavinia Lavender

Assumes you're on WinXP.

(Please press keyboard's ENTER key after each "typing" step.)
    1. Open up command prompt (typing "cmd" in Run.)
    2. Type "ftp releases.mozilla.org"
    3. When asked for User, type "anonymous"
    4. Type anything for password
    5. Type "cd pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/win32/en-US/"
    6. Type "ls" to get list of files
    7. Type "get "Firefox Setup 3.0.1.exe" " (include the quotes next to the filename)
    8. DONE, you've your Firefox downloaded.

Best regards,
    William Wong

7. LaviniaLavender

js73 - Thank you very much indeed, the portableapps worked!

Elvandil - ah, thanks for explaining why my attempt to download IE didn't work. My computer really doesn't have any other problems that I've noticed; there was a glitch with the Mozilla I just had, but the new version seems to have taken care of it. (And yes, it is an XP; I probably have the XP CD stored somewhere.)

EAFielder - ...IE popped up! Where has it been hiding? But thank you so much for that tip, I didn't know it worked like that.

wch_net - It was going fine until I reached step five, when it said "550 Failed to change directory." I double-checked to make sure it was all spelled correctly.

Thanks for all the responses, I've already learned some really helpful stuff that will help me not only now but later on, I'm sure.

8. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    I wonder if this would be of interest?
    "Internet Explorer is a webbrowser based on the Trident render engine, which does not follow the W3C Web Standards. Internet Explorer Collection contains multiple standalone versions of IE, which can be used at the same time.

Internet Explorer Collection contains the following versions of IE:

- Internet Explorer 1.0 (4.40.0.308)
    - Internet Explorer 1.5 (0.1.0.10)
    - Internet Explorer 2.01 (2.1.0.46)
    - Internet Explorer 3.0 (3.0.1152)
    - Internet Explorer 4.01 (4.72.3110.0)
    - Internet Explorer 5.01 (5.00.3314.2100)
    - Internet Explorer 5.5 (5.51.4807.2300)
    - Internet Explorer 6.0 (6.00.2800.1106)
    - Internet Explorer 7.0 (7.0.5730.13)
    - Internet Explorer 8.0 (8.0.6001.17184)"

From here:
    http://finalbuilds.edskes.net/iecollection.htm

Richard.

9. wch_net

wch_net

Try COPY & PASTE my "change directory" command, I tested it just before posting the reply and also just few seconds ago.

Ar...maybe...you typed "en-US" as "en-us"......as the FTP server system is case-sensitive.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/737094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice