1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to re-install disabled onboard video card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unicorncove, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unicorncove

unicorncove Thread Starter

I have a Gateway GT5676 with an NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ video card which allows for dual monitors, but has no HDMI output. My computer has an HDMI port for it's onboard video card, however when I tried to hook it up it didn't work. When I checked my Device Manager under Display Adapters only the NVIDIA card shows up. I tried going into the BIOS but nowhere could I find anything relating to a video card at all (even under Advanced Settings and Integrated Peripherals).

How do I re-enable my onboard video card so I can hook my monitor up via the HDMI cable?

And as a secondary question (to see if it is even worth the trouble): will doing so give me better picture quality on my TV? The TV is currently hooked to the NVIDIA card by way of a VGA cable with some kind of adapter on the (computer) end. I bought an HDMI cable for better image quality before realizing that the cable hooks into my onboard video card and not the one I'm currently using.

2. unicorncove

unicorncove Thread Starter

Geez, I spent all day trying to figure out how to switch back and just realized the answer after having finally posted here:

I need to get a DVI to HDMI cord (or a DVI adapter to take my current HDMI cord).

Wow, even just posting here helps! :eek:

(I'll leave it up anyway in case it helps someone else with a similar problem)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!