1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to re-partition WD 320 gig external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hipgabby, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hipgabby

hipgabby Thread Starter

Would like to have 40-50 gig sections/partitions in my WD 320 gig external USB hard drive (FAT32), but can't figure out how to do this. Used Partition Magic from my <Reference to illegal software removed> to partition my regular 20 gig hard drive in half (half is NTSF, Backup half is FAT32), wasn't that hard to figure out. Used Ghost to make a complete backup of my C: drive in case I screwed something up (burned an ISO file first). I'm running Windows 2000 Pro with SP 4.

However, nothing on that <Reference to illegal software removed> disk will recognize my WD external drive period (Partition Magic won't show it, Norton Ghost doesn't see it either). It's a Western Digital "My Book" drive....just plugs into one of my USB ports. Windows has no problem seeing it and my BIOS sees it too.

Now I'm stumped, probably cause I'm not very experienced with this. Have looked on the Internet a great deal, but what I've found is how to do this in XP, which doesn't do me any good. Can y'all help please?

Thanks in advance!

hip

God made the world and he rested.
    God made man, and he rested.
    Then God made woman; since then,
    neither God nor man has rested. :D

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just use Disk Management.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

But why FAT32?

3. hipgabby

hipgabby Thread Starter

As for the FAT32, that's what a friend of mine recommended I do and he's more computer savvy than I am, so I did that. I'm beginning to think now that doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the directions for Disk Management, but what do I do after I get to Disk Management? I need step-by-step "destructions" please.

Thanks!

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click on the partitions on that drive and remove all the partitions until it is all blank space. Then, right-click again and create new partitions the sizes you want. Unless this drive is going to be used on another computer that needs FAT32, I would suggest using the default NTFS formatting. FAT32 cannot store files over 4 GB's and is a lot less secure or stable than NTFS. Use the quick format option or it will take a long time.

After you get all your new drives created, you can right-click and change the drive letters if you want to.

Don't be afraid to just try it. You can't hurt anything on a blank drive and you will learn it quickly.

5. Hughv

Hughv

6. hipgabby

hipgabby Thread Starter

Thanks so much Elvandil, worked just like you said it would. Can't believe how easy it was! Now all my drives are fixed, re-partitioned and are NTFS.

Thanks bunches to you too Hughv! Learned a lot in that article.

Thanks ever so much for all the help...problem solved!!

hip

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

I was pretty sure you would find it easy to do. No extra tools needed, at least for now.

Thanks for following up.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice