1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to reduce desktop icon sizes - Windows 7 Home Premium

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by 63yo, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 63yo

63yo Thread Starter

Now and again, when I switch my computer on first thing in the morning, my desktop comes on with huge icons. Its a bit annoying but I've found that if I just leave things alone, the next day my desktop is back to normal. (I presume its something to do with Microsoft updating or something). This time, its been three days and my desktop still has the large icons, although by going into display we've managed to change them from huge to just large, although in saying that they are still twice the normal size.

The problem is, this time everything is huge - word, emails, internet; the lot, and its very difficult to read things or work online. I have to keep sliding the bar across the bottom of the screen to be able to see whats on the right hand side of the screen. Very frustrating.

It seems that this has been occurring since I bought Windows 7 about three/four years ago but I can't swear to it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to return things back to normal?

2. hgh918

hgh918

Hi there..
    So, to try and get the icons back to normal size, you can right click anywhere on your desktop, hover over view, and change the icon side from large to small. Also for the icons, you can hold your Ctrl button and scroll back and forth w/ the mouse wheel.
    Now, since all programs are oversized, try this: Control Panel --> Appearance and Personalization --> Display --> If it's on medium, change it to small.
    Hope this helps, good luck!

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is this an icon problem or really a screen resolution problem? Right click an empty spot on the desktop - Screen resolution - is the resolution set correctly? Does it become reset incorrectly?

4. 63yo

63yo Thread Starter

Thanks for your answer hgh918 - have already tried the control panel - display, but that only made the icons a bit smaller, not back to the normal size.

5. 63yo

63yo Thread Starter

Hi Terry, you were absolutely spot on. I followed your instructions and everything has gone back to normal. I dont know what happens, I just find that occasionally the icons suddenly show up huge now and again after I turn my computer on in the morning. All I can put it down to is Microsoft doing some sort of updating overnight. My computer now is back to normal all the Windows problems, including emails and internet are fixed. And thanks to your advice, I know how to reset the icons in the future -
    Thanks again. Cheers, Sheila

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome, Sheila. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!