1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to remove boot options

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SigVicious, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SigVicious

SigVicious Thread Starter

I'm working on a friends Dell Inspiron 5100 running XP Home. Upon bootup, he has 3 boot options; XP Home, 2000 Pro and XP Setup. The XP Home seems to work fine. I haven't tried the 2000 Pro and the XP Setup obviously hangs.

Is there a way to eliminate the 2000 Pro and XP Setup boot options? I've rooted around including the registry but am coming up empty.

Sig

2. Claymore

Claymore

Start => Run and type in msconfig
    Under the BOOT.INI tab click 'Check all boot paths'. You will be able to remove invalid ones.

The Boot.ini file is a hidden system file in the root of the C: drive. It can be edited in Notepad, but you can render the computer unbootable if you screw it up.
    Why not post the boot.ini file here and tell us what you want to do.

3. SigVicious

SigVicious Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I've already installed a new hard drive (larger) and reloaded Windows. The old hard drive had the 3 boot options. Which I'll use for backups now. I wanted to also know this for future reference.

Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!