1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to remove Novell Security

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JFresh, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this but my boss has requested that I "remove Novell Security" from one of our user's workstations.

What he is referring to is when you use Novell Client for Windows (in this case, version 4.83) on a Windows XP machine, you get a window that pops up with the title "Novell Security" and below there is a graphic that states "Novell Client For Windows". The relevant information is that there are 6 buttons: Lock Workstation/computer, Logout, Shutdown, Change Password, Task List, and Cancel.

My boss does not want people to see this at all when they press control, alt delete, and he is under the impression that somehow this can be removed.

I have very little experience when it comes to Novell as my boss has said he does not want me messing with it except for a couple of tasks that I have been trained on. Thus I rarely use it.

So basically my question is: Is there a way to disable this screen all together on a particular user's PC? I'm guessing that it would be with a group policy or the equivalent in Novell but I'm positive my boss won't let me go to those extremes. Thus the reason for me asking on this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JFresh

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You get the same thing within windows when you do a control alt delete except it reads Windows Security.

I have NEVER heard of a way to disable this window from poping up. I did find this -

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kb...isableWindowsNTalt-ctrl-deldialogbuttons.html

Which will disable the dialog buttons from being able to be used BUT the problem I see with that is its in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive meaning if the next person logs on they may not have it apply to them.

My thought is maybe do a GPO startup script with a registry import?

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Don't know of anyway to do it on Netware or even with ZenWorks. You guys might want to think about updating your Netware Client. You are more than a few releases behind.

Stumpy that looks like a good link and they could actually push that down with ZenWorks if they are using that. I don't know what good it would do. There is always other Windows Shortcut keys to get to all of those functions so what difference does it make. Unless they really have their workstations locked down with other policies and use NAL as the shell interface, there isn't much they can do.

Take a look at this thread. Coolsolutions is one of the best websites out there for Netware stuff. I am a member on that forum as well.
    http://coolsolutions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6234&sid=82ce68269d281ad5d8bb58182a414d1b

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Never thought of Zenworks. I loved it when we used it and it worked cursed it when we had software problems with it. Of course this was QUITE a few years ago. (And 2 jobs ago). Your right that should be easy enough to implment with that.

My only wonder is if the client is just an integrated GUI with the standard Windows Client or if those "buttons" have different settings for Novell. I would think its just something that lays on top of the windows Functionality but thats just my opinion.

5. JFresh

JFresh Thread Starter

Hi,

Well it looks like that's not what he was after anyway. He first told me that I needed to "remove security" and was referring to the screen that allows you to lock the workstation. Thus the reason for this message. Unfortunately there's no way he would allow me to try any of that.

What's more, he actually decided to explain himself a bit more, which is a rare occurance here. What he wanted me to do instead was go to Power Options in Control Panel and set all the values to Never. Apparantly I was to derive this out of "remove security".

Just in case you're curious too: The issue was that a user wasn't able to get a particular document opened in Word that is stored on our system. Other users could open it but not this one. Thus my boss ordered me to set up a newly imaged PC and to "remove security" from it. So I did, tested it and the document opened. This user also normally had Adobe Acrobat Standard Edition on it. So I installed that and tested her document again but this time it didn't open, so it seems to me as though the issue is with Adobe Acrobat. We ended up installing Acrobat 6 Standard on the computer instead and that resolved the issue.

Thanks for all of your help and I apologize for wasting your time on this.

JFresh

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!