1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to Restore Autoplay on CD-Rom Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DocStrange, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DocStrange

DocStrange Thread Starter

Several months ago, my father, thinking he could "make my PC work better", installed a program called, unpromisingly, "PC Fixer" off of CNET. For months, I was very upset at my father for installing a program without my permission on my private computer. He apparently used my system as a "guinea pig" to see if the program would work on his computer, which he has installed dozens of registry cleaners on (I wonder why his computer barely works? Hmmm....). I have yet to remove it because the program did multiple things with my computer to "make it run faster" and I am barely sure how to undo these changes. The program looks slightly shady, but I have contacted CNET, and they have told me it is a legitimate, working software and not a FinallyFast-esque scam, but I am still largely convinced that many issues I have had with my computer since early August have something to do with this program sitting on my computer. Since then, I have password protected my computer, as if to stop a small child from accessing my computer while not away.

Anyway, when he ran it, it disabled autoplay on my CD-ROM. Without autoplay, installing certain computer games becomes impossible. I "undid" the change in the program months ago, and yet, I still see no Autoplay whenever I stick a CD or USB drive into my computer.

Today, I went into the PC Fixer program and tried to find a way to undo other items, but the specific tab in the program that allows me seems to just load and do nothing now.

Is there a way, inside of Windows XP, to physically restore Autoplay?

2. DocStrange

DocStrange Thread Starter

Aha! Success! I went into the PC Fixer program and re-enabled Autoplay for a second time.

I have looked on the website of the company that makes it - which is generically called "Digital Support" - and I found precious few information on removing undesired changes.

Aside from disabling Autoplay, which I do not understand why such an option would be desired, the rest of the things this program does seem to be vaguely, but legitimately helpful things. I still rather dislike that something was installed without my permission, but I suppose i'll let it sit for another month and hopefully it doesn't disable Autoplay again whenever it does that.

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I looked at the C-Net download and noticed this statement: "And, should your changes have a bad outcome, an Undo button restores settings."

{redoak}

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Unless that utility has overarched or disabled certain Windows Registry settings - in which case uninstall it - you should still be able to right click the drive in My Computer, go to Properties and Autoplay then set whichever options you wish for differing disk content types.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!