Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] How to restore Registry Win98

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  goldmark 
#1 ·
2mo old computer running Win98 had a bad shut down. After reboot, it led us thru a registry restore process and now all setup info seems to be lost. Desktop Icons are there, but all previously installed software will not start as if they dont exist. Everything is still there on the hard drive.
Is there a way to restore everything without reinstalling all software?
(Note: I backed up the only registry-looking files, SYSTEM.dat & USER.dat after the problem surfaced, but before the first reboot. Tried several reboots since.)

#2 ·
Try restoring a different Registry Backup. What you do it boot to MS-DOS mode using the Boot menu option depress Ctrl or a the Windows 98 Startup diskette, and enter: SCANREG /RESTORE

Then pick another date from the menu displayed and follow the instructions.

#3 ·
Did as DanO suggested. Only 2 dates there, today and July 01. I restored to old one anyway, now the simpler software will start, but more complicated software like MS-Office Suite gives same error message "The windows installer failed to install the program associated with this file". Screen setting cant be changed beyond 16 color and all dialer printer & modem setup is gone. "Add/Remove programs" is empty. Is there anything else that can be done?
If not, how to avoid this problem in the future? Thanks.

#4 ·
As insurance I use a drive image utility to backup my PC, such as Ghost or DriveImage. It allows you to restore everything without reloading. If you decide to use one I recommend you parition your hard drive, to separate the OS/applications and data. Then when you do a restore you will not lose any data. I make three partitions; a 4-6GB OS/Apps, 4-6GB Data, and the remaining space is for work and backup files. I move my Temp, Internet cache, and other work files to the third partition. Images usually takes 20-30 minutes to create a backup or restore one. It's pretty cool and a real time saver. Create an image before installing any new application and copy one from the hard drive to a second hard drive or a CD-R once in awhile as well. I have installed a hard drive in a drive tray, for backup.

#5 ·
Originally posted by goldmark
Did as DanO suggested. Only 2 dates there, today and July 01. I restored to old one anyway, now the simpler software will start, but more complicated software like MS-Office Suite gives same error message "The windows installer failed to install the program associated with this file". Screen setting cant be changed beyond 16 color and all dialer printer & modem setup is gone. "Add/Remove programs" is empty. Is there anything else that can be done?
It sounds like you went back to before you installed drivers for the display adapter, and maybe even the motherboard....you'll need to locate those and get them installed.

And re-install any software that you added since July 1......pretty much sounds like all of it..... :(

#6 ·
Thanks. I cant believe an incomplete windows shut-down can cause so much problem. I remember restoring Win95 registries in the past and you just grabbed the previous boot backup copies. I started saving registry copies before new software installs, but I cant find that Win98 makes such a backup copy. Isnt there something like that that can be done with Win98?

#7 ·
That's the problem....that's what you did......when you did the scanreg /restore, you told the registry it was July 1, 2001......so whatever state the computer was in then registry wise, is where it's at now.........

When you said only 2 dates were there, you probably should have asked for opinions on restoring it......normally you wouldn't want to go back that far, in any event :(

#8 ·
Windows makes and stores a backup of the registry when you start your computer successfully each day.
By default, five previous copies or the registry are stored, that can be restored using the scanreg /restore command in MS-DOS.

If that's not the case on your system, Scanregw.exe could possibly not be loading automatically as Windows starts.

Go to Start/run, and type Msconfig.

On the startup tab, is there an entry for Scanregw.exe, and is the box next to it ticked?

#10 ·
Originally posted by TonyKlein
Windows makes and stores a backup of the registry when you start your computer successfully each day.
By default, five previous copies or the registry are stored, that can be restored using the scanreg /restore command in MS-DOS.

If that's not the case on your system, Scanregw.exe could possibly not be loading automatically as Windows starts.

Go to Start/run, and type Msconfig.

On the startup tab, is there an entry for Scanregw.exe, and is the box next to it ticked?
Thanks Tony,
Scanregw.exe is checked, but I dont know if thats the case before everything went to July settings.
As for comments by "AcaCandy" above, Im not positive, but things were already this bad before selecting the July 1, 2001 version. No software would start. No drivers installed, i.e. video running on some basic VGA version that allows 16 colors, no modem or printers, etc. The only change after restoring to July 1 was that some of the simple programs would start, but they open as if never run before.

#12 ·
Im using Norton AV with weekly def updates, so I think Im covered on emails and websurfing. The only thing that has worried me a little is my daughter's MPG download program Kazaa.com, which I dont think Norton scans during download like it does emails.

#14 ·
Thanks everybody.

As the dust settles, somehow my Registry backup versions disappeared leaving me only a near original pre-driver version to go back to. Scanregw.exe seems to be working properly now as it has now accumulated the 5 backup it is supposed to have.
Would love to know how to prevent the backups from evaporating. :confused:

I ended up having to reinstall motherboard software, DirectX8, Video Audio & Modem drivers, then reinstall all software to get back to a good registry version. At least I didnt lose my data files on the hard drive and much of my software is recognizing that I already had some data there.

While reinstalling my Creative CD-burner, I discovered HD Imaging Backup software (NTI-"Drive Backup"). Im hoping that will rescue me next time this happens. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.