1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to retrieve data from failed Windows HD?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kelzpics, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kelzpics

Kelzpics Thread Starter

I need help restoring data from my hard drive!

History of problem is as follows:

1. Back in November, I had a corrupted registry that prevented XP Pro from starting.

2. Accessed Recovery Console, replaced registry hives, ran backup of data to USB storage device.

3. Reformatted HD w/Win XP Pro, reloaded all programs, devices etc., only to now find Windows or HD failing again. Was in middle of huge deadline when this began to occur. Windows would freeze when screensaver came on or randomly shut down. Upon restart, I couldn't login to my user account. Started in Safe Mode, kept working by changing screensaver settings to not go to welcome screen. Tried to do backup and got error messages. Left pc on, went to bed, found it locked up in a.m. Rebooted and now it's just going in circles.... gets to starting XP window then automatically shuts down.

4. Ran chkdsk and had 5 stages of checking and fixing that yielded no restored Windows. Tried Recovery Console method again. Instead of a C: prompt I got C:\WINDOWS and error message when tried to replace hives again.

5. Borrowed a pc running XP Pro and hooked up HD from my computer to try to get my files that way. My kids user account folders under Docments and Settings show up just fine, but my folder gives me error message "Access is denied". I've tried dragging to Shared Documents folder on the pc and still get same error. Hovering mouse over folder properties shows "folder is empty" (kids' folders show the content size and are fully accessible).

The folder is not empty and I know the data is all still there. I did a full scan with avast just so I could see all my files and they are definitely still there.

How can I get to my data files?? I have to get to them or I'm in deep doo doo. I don't know what else to do, any ideas much appreciated.

2. phatfred

phatfred

Right click the folder and select 'Properties'. Select the 'Security' Tab. Click 'Advanced' and select the 'Owner Tab'. Select the username you are currently logged on as and in the lower box, tick the box marked 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' and hit apply.

3. Kelzpics

Kelzpics Thread Starter

Hi PF,

That did not work for me. When I right click on the folder and select Properties, my only tab options are 'General' 'Sharing' and 'Customize'.... no 'Security' tab. Any idea why I don't have that option? I am in hot water and need to get out fast.

Thanks

4. Kelzpics

Kelzpics Thread Starter

Actually, thank you, it did work.... but the system I used to hook my HD to was running Windows XP Home Edition, in which case I needed to start Windows in Safe Mode and then follow the procedures for taking ownership.

Thanks again for your help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice