1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to Run As in windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Synt4xError, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Synt4xError

Synt4xError Thread Starter

Hello all, hope you are doing well.

So I have a question about 'Run As' in windows 7. I know you can run as different user and enter in the administrative account credentials. BUT, in XP, the 'Run As' was capable of being used on mostly everything in control panel, like Add & Remove Programs.

What I am trying to do is run a repair on a software installed on the system, BUT I can't log in as admin due to heavy work load for the user, so I need to find a way to run a repair as her account which doesn't have admin rights. In XP you could hold CTRL and right click to get the Run As selection. In windows 7 I don't get the same option and I am a little lost.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Synt4x

2. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

Try holding Shift and right-clicking, then selecting Run as Administrator. You will be prompted for Admin credentials (if UAC is enabled).

3. Synt4xError

I would love to enable it but here is my dilemma:

We have users that use their computers all the time and can't have down time. They do not have admin rights whatsoever. Corporate has turned UAC off as a policy. When enabling UAC you have to restart the computer, which will create downtime.

So is there another way with out having to enable UAC?

I appreciate your response Jonathan_king

4. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

You should still be able to right-click>run as Administrator. See my snip below, taken from a Standard user account with UAC disabled.

Attached Files:

5. Synt4xError

Oh, of corse I can do that. But what I am referring to is when I have to uninstall an application or run a repair on it. I apologize if I didn't mention that before.

6. Jonathan_King

Jonathan_King

Sorry about that, my bad. I don't think there is a way to do that, unfortunately.

7. Synt4xError

No it's ok, it's really my bad. And that's what I was NOT hoping for lol. You'd think Microsoft would have added it in since it was in XP. GRRRR

thanks for your help though, I appreciate it.

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Don't know if this will work, but try running the Control Panel applet from an Admin Command Prompt:
    Click Start, type cmd, when cmd.exe appears in the list, right click it and click Run as administrator
    type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
    Or try the RunAs command from the Command Prompt:
    RunAs /User:Administrator "Control.exe appwiz.cpl"
    You'll be prompted for the password for the specified user account.

Do not use the /savecred switch; this could allow the user to run anything as the other user without having to know the password, all they need to know is the user name that was saved.

9. Synt4xError

Wow, that just may work. I will try it first thing Tuesday. I will let you know, thank you very much.

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

11. Synt4xError

This worked very well, I appreciate this. Saved me a lot of time for sure.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930095