1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How To Save Emails to Floppy Disc?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dshahen, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dshahen

dshahen Thread Starter

Is there some way (preferably easy :D ) to save emails to a floppy disc or to my desktop. I use Hotmail and Outlook Express and have more emails than Hotmail will hold. They are important and I would love to save them to a floppy or to my desktop. Thanking you in advance.
    Donna

2. phoneguy55

phoneguy55

when you are in Outlook Express, just click FILE and SAVE AS,...then decide .where you want it,....and if you want it to be an .".eml" ( actual e-mail file) or just a".txt" ( plain text file), by using the drop down window ( SAVE AS TYPE )

if you just want to save the body of each message for future reading, I would use "text" and use notepad to open them later....quickest way anyway.

if you want to keep all the "to" and "from" info ( header ) ,etc,....then save as an e-mail file and it'll open as such when you click on it later

In Hotmail, I would just copy and paste the text to a notepad file on my desktop, but you could click on the words ( PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION) just above the message body and then hit (ctrl + A) to highlite everything, then right click...save as....etc.....this way will keep all the header information for you, for future reference

3. dshahen

dshahen Thread Starter

I did save them as an email file but to read them I have to have outlook express open....this was disappointing. So I guess now I go back and resave everything (about 200 emails) but save them in text form this time. Gees and I was so proud of myself for finding the "save as" button myself. I know better than to experiment before I receive instructions here. :D ;)
    thanks,
    donna

4. paulbh

paulbh

To backup your Outlook data follow these steps:

On the File menu, click Import and Export.

In the wizard, click 'Export to a file', and then click Next.

Click 'Personal Folder File'.

Select 'Personal folders' and tick 'Include subfolders'

Follow the rest of the steps in the wizard.

5. dshahen

dshahen Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply but I don't see that in Outlook Express and that is what I am dealing with.

6. Cosmic

Cosmic

One way to save just about anything is to highlite the file of interest, for e-mails, you have to have them opened.

Press and hold Alt, then hit F, (Release Alt) then A. That will give you a Save window with an option of making it a text file. Can select the destination to any drive, folder, etc.

That saves the file as shown in the open window. Probably best to save them as Web Pages. They look just like the originals. Can open them in storage by just clicking on them.

I prefer the keys method over using the mouse it is faster.

7. joe2cool

joe2cool

8. dshahen

dshahen Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your help. It worked!

9. dshahen

dshahen Thread Starter

Resolved. Thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice