1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: how to set numbers in specific pages in MS word

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by momtaz, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Hi guys

I have a research report about 120 pages in MS word format, and this needed to be printed as a book,
    I set the cover of the book in separated file page and the summary with the other contents in a separated file that must show page numbers, I would like to put the cover and all other contents in the same file but do not insert numbers in the firts page of the cover and need to start inserting the ordinal numbers in the following pages starting from 1 till the last,

is there some techinical steps to manage this in MS word 2003 and make it one file? it would be much better and handy as one file instead of 2 parts,
    will appreciate the related answers,

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You should be able to do this using sections, since the page number field that you insert works on a section by section basis. You can therefore not only have page numbers restart by inserting a section, but can even format each section's numbering differently or remove it for some sections.

You can find a guide to using sections with a few minutes of googling, here's one that looks to be useful.
    http://addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm#sections

3. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Ent: I checked all contents of this link.. they talking about another things..

what I need is: very simple thing to escape page numbering in the first few page,
    thanks for the effort anyway

4. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I deal with a lot of manuals, reports, etc. Normally I keep the cover file separate from the rest of the document since the covers are printed on different paper. Have you thought of that?

5. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

I have done all my work at the same,
    so ur reply is just of wasting time, i wish do not reply as long as u don't have the required answer as the subject of this post,

6. surferdude2

surferdude2

Momtaz, When getting free help from volunteers, it behooves you to be gracious.

Attached Files:

• aaa1.jpg
      aaa1.jpg
      File size:
      145.8 KB
      Views:
  7. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

surferdude2, I do understand and always show high appreciation for any help or assistance.. but sometimes u get annoyed by such bothering replies or telling something out of the subject.. this is very unwanted really to waste time.

regards

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Hi momtaz,

Any luck with surferdude2's suggestion?

9. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

In Format>Bullets and Numbering select Numbers then Customise and you can start numbering with any number you choose, in any format available and starting at any page you choose.

10. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

Saga Lout.. did u read well and understand my question or not? u went out of the topic at all,

Phantom010: some feedbacks are really time consuming with no any help, most of the solutions u provided to me are always professional with clear steps to get the problem solved..

11. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I fail to see what you're talking about. Page numbering in Word is handled by the Format menu and if you follow the steps I laid out, you will be able to number the first pages as, for example, i, ii, iii, iv etc and the rest of the book 1,2,3,4 to 120 or whatever.

You really should get out of this habit of condemning advice simply because you don't understand it.

12. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

I have asked simply to escape set the numbers in the cover and abstract page... then start numbering.. that's all..!
    anyway, thanks for the effort even it's useless

13. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

When you get fed up with missing the point, get back to me - I speak parts of seven languages and I'm happy to try one of the others! I think you fail to appreciate the difference between the page numbers Word gives your document from the numbers you want to see on the printed page. That's where a bit of clever formatting comes in.

14. momtaz

momtaz Thread Starter

the numbering u were talking about for paragraphs or lines when we set text sections.. Format > Bullet and numbering > numberd ... does this step lead to set page numbers?
    i wish u won't answer anymore.. no need to any more debates, i can just ignore but wanted to make clear reason, just stop pls.. it's wasting ur time for no point and the problem not solved yet,

Phantom010 is an excellent member provided me great solutions in several times, just one time and get it done, and I always appreciate that as it must be,

15. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Your original request was for a way to skip the first few pages before beginning numbering them.
    Both Surferdude & myself suggest doing this with sections. Surferdude provided a screenshot of the help file explaining exactly how to do it. I suggest that you click on the small thumbnail under his text to expand it, and see what Microsoft has to say on the matter. I believe that is the meaning of phantom's post.

Or go onto google and search for "Microsoft Word 2003" "Section break" and get directions you're more comfortable with. The point is that your page numbering and your headers/footers need not be the same over section breaks. This is the ideal way for having different page number formats for different sections of the document. For example you could set your Contents section to use Roman numerals and the main body of your book to use Arabic numbers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice