1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: how to sysprep windows 7 for resale

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mickeymbbc, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mickeymbbc

mickeymbbc Thread Starter

Does anyone have directions / tutorial how to sysprep a desktop machine for resale? My boss purchased 10 desktops from a business owner and we have to refurbish them, reload them, update the drivers, and create a recovery partition, etc.. To get them ready to put out in the store. After I create a recovery partition I have to sysprep the computer. Basically set it up for (OOBE) out of-box-exper....hes a jerk!! and gave me half horrible instructions.

2. mickeymbbc

I would assume from the no responses nobody knows how. I figured it out though Incase someone wants that experience . and it's very important for legal reason to do it bc Microsoft can sue you!! If anyone would like to know just ask. I still think this forum is good

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The best method would be to get a SYSTEM DVD from the OEM and rebuild using that.
    This would set up the recover partition, as most retail versions can NOT.
    Also each machine would need to a different key code if you were to use a retail version of the OS.

4. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

I don't know why you'd have to sysprep computers. That's for creating an image to be used on multiple hardware models for enterprise installations.

If your company is getting rid of the computers, the drives should be wiped securely and sent to a reseller with the install disks or license keys.

5. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    TonyB25,
    In the OP, these machines were bought from another company to be resold by the buyer.

The buyer is to clean up the machines, before resale.

It is not stated if these 10 machine are of the same make and model or a mixture of the lot.
    If they are the same make and model, one OEM DVD can be used on all of the machines.

6. renegade600

renegade600

another option would be to order oem disks from the computer manufacturer. This way the customer could have disks.

7. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

DaveA,
    Sysprep is used for creating an OS image for deployment across computer models. Sysprep is not used for cleaning computers and reselling.

8. mickeymbbc

I know that's what I did. Thanks

9. mickeymbbc

I also did that. Thank u

10. mickeymbbc

But I did have to end up sys prepping them anyway bc I copied a OEM disc and started before they sent me one. I found an extra copy the boss had. Thanks guys

11. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    TonyB25,
    In the OP "Does anyone have directions / tutorial how to sysprep a desktop machine for resale?" was stated.
    I interpreted that the OP was wanting to clean up these machine for resale and used the term "sysprep" as a general statement and not the true Microsoft Sysprep function.

12. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

DaveA,
    Looks like the OP meant it literally.

Wiping a drive for re-sale is one thing.

Sysprep is something else.

Glad you got it sorted!

13. mickeymbbc

EXACTLY. Thanks guys

14. WinOutreach2

WinOutreach2

As the others have said, the best method would be to perform a clean installation, but with that said, Sysprep can be used in a refurbishing scenario in the same way that it would be used in an OEM scenario, to prepare the environment with drivers and configuration before resealing the system for distribution to an end customer. See Sysprep (System Preparation) Overview on TechNet.

I still wouldn’t necessarily recommend it though, at least not separate from the fresh installation with OEM media. Sysprep isn’t designed to remove applications or user data like the reset feature in Windows 8.1. You should still start with a clean environment.

Brandon
    Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
    Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!