1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: how to take complete control of a second-hand laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by scottspa, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scottspa

scottspa Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I just paid $80 for a renovated Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. Works okay I am told I cannot remove the Win 7 Pro x64 operating system or change anything else. How do I take complete control of this computer without wiping it. I used my Win 7 Pro x64 installation disc and upgraded it but not full control. I have formatted one of these before but could not install Win 7 and the laptop would not start up so the garbage bin got it. I bought a $150 desktop from the same charity group and formatted and reinstalled and now it is so GOOD AND FAST. What can I do to get rid of the charity group's Trusted Installer and the SYSTEM
    ADMINISTRATOR so I have full control. Would they have changed BIOS settings do you think. I can't do anything to change that without your help. Do you think I could format it or wipe it and reinstall Win 7 so I am known as the owner etc. THanks for reading this and I hope you have the answers for it.. If anyone living in South West Australia is happy with the thought of the prices for the computers just go to Unit 2/ 3, Rafferty Road, Mandurah and look for a roadside sign for the Mandurah Muscateers. Only open 2 days a week Tuesdays and Thursdays. Hope to hear from lots of you, Thanks, Scottspa

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    This would be a licensing issue
    does the laptop have a CoA label on the bottom of it - with a windows version and a key ?

its possible the license belongs to the charity
    to what ?
    again you may only use that with one PC depends on the license on the disk you have ?

3. valis

valis Moderator

get an install disk and reformat it. That way all previous owner settings are gone.

4. scottspa

scottspa Thread Starter

Yes it has the labels underneath. I upgraded it to Windows 7 Pro x64. Do you think I could wipe it and start again

5. valis

valis Moderator

yes.

6. scottspa

scottspa Thread Starter

I inserted a Spotmau boot disc and completely wiped the C drive ( that took some time) then I used the Win 7 installation disc and formatted and a full installation. All looks and seems good. One more problem when I press and hold the shift key and scroll over files they do not highlight and I can't move them as one bundle. This is on the laptop again. What setting have I ruined. Scottspa

7. scottspa

scottspa Thread Starter

I used a spotmau Repair disc and completely wiped the c drive then I put the Win 7 Pro Installation disc in and formatted again. This time it worked I OWN it. Just formatting left their control settings but not if I wipe it first. It took 17 hors to wipe it then 2 hours to format and reinstall. Thanks for your help and support

8. scottspa

scottspa Thread Starter

I wiped the C drive with a SPOTMAU Boot Suite Cd (17 Hours) then using the Win 7 P{ro installation disc I formatted and reinstalled Windows. Thanks for your help and support, Scottspa

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!