Solved: How to tell if RAM type

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rarodrig

Can I tell what RAM configuration without opening Laptop?

Laptop can handle up to 8G, came with 4G installed.

Is it one 4G chip, or 2 - 2G's? Can I tell if I have an open slot?

HP-Pavilion Laptop / AMD A-Series Processor / 15. Display / 4GB Memory model: dv6-6117dx

You can go to Crucial.com and run the system scan tool. It will tell you what you currently have installed.

Another utility you can run is CPU-Z which can be downloaded from cpuid.com.

Just from experience, if you currently have a total of 4GB installed, you most likely have 2 x 2GB modules because of dual-channel, and typically two smaller density modules are less expensive than a single larger module.

rarodrig

How can I get the original configuration?

The bottom access panel was loose when I got the Laptop and I want verify it has not been modified.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion dv6-6117dx Entertainment laptop/notebook.

It comes with 4 GB of DDR3 RAM, but it supports up to 16 GB.

It uses 204-pin DDR3 PC3-10600(DDR3-1333) CL=9, 1.5V, unbuffered 4 GB modules.

-------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.