1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to transfer pictures and videos from cell phone to PC

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by lafnirvana, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lafnirvana

lafnirvana Thread Starter

I wanted to transfer my pics/videos from my Motorola phone (Verizon carrier) to my PC. It was suggested on this site that I buy Motorola Phone Tools, that this software would do the job. I also talked with Verizon to make sure it would do the trick. But when I got the software I was unable to transfer any pic/video. So I called Motorola for help. I found out Verizon prohibits Motorola from configuing their phone software to transfer pics/videos.

I surmized the reason Verizon prohibits this particular function is they want to make people pay messaging charges to get pics/videos from phone to pc. Because everytime you send a pic/video from your phone it is considered a message. The Motorola tech said almost all carriers they provide phones to prevent pic/video transfers using MPT. So be sure to ask your carrier first if they allow the phone you buy (not just Motorola) to work with its respective phone software. Then call the phone manufacturer to make sure you were given the correct info.

By the way you can transfer pics using Verizon two ways.

One-send pic/video as "message" to your email-then transfer from email to pc.

Two-send pic/video to your Verizon account that offers a pic/video gallery to accept your "messages". It offers some options such as word bubbles and picture altering. To get to your pc you just copy/paste to you pc.

So a warning to all those who might be considering purchasing MPT to work with Verizon and most other carriers. If you are only interested in the ability to transfer pics/videos you are out of luck (and out as much as $50).

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why can't you just mail them to yourself?

3. lafnirvana

Once again-Any pic/video you send to your email or your Verizon account counts as a "message". So you have to PAY Verizon to get them to those two options. You can then transfer to your pc from either of those two locations. And you can only send ONE pic/video at a time. Which is why direct phone to pc software would have been great.

4. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

I have a Blackberry Storm with Verizon and I simply connect it to my pc via usb cable and transfer pics and videos back and forth.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

What model Motorola is it?

6. wfwsew

wfwsew

I have the motorola krazer phone, I can transfer pictures direct from the phone to the computer via a usb cord that came with the phone. also all pictures are saved on a micro sd card, if I need to I can take the card out of the phone and place it in an adaptor to use in a card reader. does your phone use a micro sd card?

frank

7. lafnirvana

Well folks, one day after posting this thread, my phone was stolen while I stood in a crowded bus. I live in a big city and am always super careful on public transport, but thieves can be very crafty. Karma will get them in the end.

So for the record the phone I did have was the Motorola Entice W766. Yes I did have an SD card that I bought and installed in the phone. I gather from one of the responses that I could have purchased a card adapter to plug the card directly into my pc to transfer pics and videos. Still a bit of a hassle since on the W766 the SD card is under the battery, not in a side slot for easy removal.

And today I am getting a new phone, sticking with verizon as carrier. After some research I found that my choices for those in the right price range with the features I want are pretty slim. But at least I get to pay 1/2 off retail price as long as I add another year on my contract. The W766 has the best customer rating. My other choices are: LGVX8360, Samsung Convoy, and Samsung Trance.

Any comments?

8. wilson44512

wilson44512

just make sure that your new phone can use a USB data cable. then that way you can use the cable to transfer your pictures and video

9. lafnirvana

Well in the end I got an LG NTouch 1100. Because I was already with verizon, and because there was a rebate with the purchase it became affordable to me. And because this phone comes with a multimedia organizing tool already, I won't run into the same problem transfering pics/videos to my pc like I did with the Motorola phone.

I guess my final thought to anyone out there who might read this thread is make sure whatever phone you look at has all the features you want. And if one or more of the features is not part of the phone software, and someone tells you that you can buy software to make the phone useable with those features, CHECK IT OUT FIRST. I strongly suggest that you don't just ask the carrier tech support. Call the phone manufacturer tech support to make sure you got the correct answer from the carrier.

And on a side note, you don't need to buy accessories from the carriers. They are always overpriced. You can find the exact same items online at a discounted rate. Amazon is always a good source. I saved $45 on a case, memory, and sheild guard for my LG NTouuch by purchasing online.:cool:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/900395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice