1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to turn numlock on at boot

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by DKTaber, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Have a friend who just got a Windows 8 Toshiba laptop. The numlock is off by default, and there is no setting for it in the BIOS or any other Windows setting I can find. I've seen forums that say you have to change it by modifying the registry entry at HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard and change the "InitialKeyboardIndicators" entry value to 2. But I have a problem believing that M$ did not include a setting somewhere in Win 8 that allows the user to change between numlock on and numlock off at boot. Is there one, and if so, where is it?

BTW, I'm given to understand from what I've read that the same is true for Win 7. . . but I have a Win 7 Toshiba laptop and my numlock was turned on at boot from day one. ?????????

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 laptops I've encountered will have the same Numlock setting on boot that it had on shutdown or restart at least 95% of the time. And the few that didn't play nice were old and XP may not have been their first OS. I don't know of any setting to control or influence it.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Hi, Terry. I feel like an idiot. . . because I AM and idiot! I guess I'm becoming less observant in my old age. I was unaware that the reason the Numlock on my Win 7 laptop was always on was because the first time I turned it on (a year ago), I left it that way when I shut down. I just tested it by turning it off, then rebooting, and sure enough, it stayed off. Turned it on, powered down then back up, and it stays on. How utterly simple.

I'll mark the thread as solved.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And hopefully your friend's laptop will also behave this way. :)

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I would give anyone 10-to-1 odds that it will. The reason: (a) It, too, is a Toshiba and (b) the layout of the BIOS is identical to mine and there is NO SETTING in it for the Numlock key.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!