1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to turn off "Autoplay" for external HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jsklaroff, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsklaroff

jsklaroff Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Seagate internal hard drive installed in an Ultra housing so I am using it as an external drive. I have that connected using USB 2.0. My operating system is Windows XP SP2. I have music and pictures on the external drive and keep it off most of the time. The problem is when ever I turn the hard drive on Windows does an "Autoplay" and scans the complete drive. This is starting to take longer and longer as I add content to the drive. When the scan is complete a window opens with this at the top " This disk or device contains more then one type of content. What do you want Windows to do?" There is no option to never scan, only the option to open programs or files or "do nothing". Is there anyway to turn off the "Autoplay" feature?

Thanks for your help!

Jay

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. jsklaroff

jsklaroff Thread Starter

Hi.

That worked perfect!

Thank you!!

Jay

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice