Solved: How to update the XP license code?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

needsleep

A friend installed his copy of XP on my machine many months ago. I already had my own license for XP at that point, but as a matter of convenience at the time, we installed his copy. Now as you know, MS won't supply automatic updates anymore, because they think I have a stolen copy of XP. Technically correct, but realistically, not quite that bad. How do I tell the operating system my correct license code? Will I need to reinstall the OS, or can it be done with less fuss?

Thanks.

It isn't legal unless you use the copy that you have and only on one device. If there was an easy way to do what you're asking, then no one would buy Windows, they'd just get a copy and replace the code.

just an fyi:

that link shows you how to change the serial key/volume license if the OS is still running Service Pack 1.

It is not possible if Service Pack 2 except:
The only way I do believe that you can change/update your volume license/cd key is to " repair " your Windows

boot off of cdrom, choose repair option etc...

( i have not tried this option, but it supposedly works )
I personally can not confirm/deny it though

It actually doesn't
as soon as you reboot the computer, it will revert back to the originally installed cd key/product key

(at least that's what a lot of people tell me)
:eek:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online