1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How to - Wireless Internet & Home network with wireless Printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by HOBOcs, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    I'm trying to setup/connect a wireless printer (HP All-in-one) so that a user can use his laptop wireless and print from anywhere in the house.

He did not have any network set-up previously.He had dialup and just purchased a new laptop (with wireless) and this new printer and has just gotten this new Rogers "Rocket" Stick. (It's a USB internet connection uses cell phone frequency.)

Normally this is pretty straight forward when conected to a wireless router.
    (I brought over a wireless router to test out)

When Rogers "Rocket" stick is connected (for internet), Can I connect to another wireless home network for sharing at the same time?

Computer Vista Laptop with Rogers Rocket Stick.
    I tried a couple of things.

Setup a wireless network:
    1) I used the setup internet connection wizard to configure a computer to computer wireless adhoc network (appears to work for very short distances - 30 feet) I was able to print a test page but not anything else - so I thought about using my Dlink Router for greater distance (if it was a distance thing as indicated.

2) I setup the (Dlink) wireless router as a standalone wireless network - not conected to the internet (configured it) and then configured my HP printer (wireless) to connect to that network. I successfully configured the printer via wizard to connect to the found network.
    - I then connected to this wireless network and added the network printer (using it's HP Wireless wizard) - it found it and added it successfully.
    - I was able to print a test page from about 5 feet. But when I move to another room - It would not print (assumed maybe a conflict/collision with wireless rocket - but not sure.

3) Then I setup the HP printer as a hard wired network printer (not wireless) attached to a port on the wireless router itself.
    - I then determined its IP address (printer config report) and then connected to the wireless network/router and set-up/added printer on the laptop as "local printer" using TCP/IP specifying this ip address.
    - When connected to the home wireless network and I was able to print a test page but not anything else.

Not sure if I'm having a problem with the Rocket and Wireless router conflicting, a firewall issue or something else or just Vista playing games.

Biggest issue is that it appears the wireless printer CAN BE reached by the laptop by either the wireless setup or direct network printer connection successfully.

Issue is that I'm not able to print any other documents. I get a message saying the printouts are pending. (I assume the printer is configured for sharing - thought about this after I left). It appears it has something to do with a lost connection or collision.

Not sure if I'm clear here - looking for advice, recommendation on how to set this up..
    Any help/direction appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you configure the second wireless connection manually, you can do local networking.

Configure the local wireless network manually with an IP address and subnet in the router's subnet range but outside the DHCP address pool of the router. Leave the Default Gateway and DNS server slot blank.

This will allow that computer to do local networking and also access the cellular modem for Internet access.

3. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Ok, sounds good - from what I'm understanding.
    If I set up the routers DHCP as a range 192.168.0.1-250 and then manually config this laptop wireless connection manually as say "192.168.0.251" outside the range.

What about the printers IP address should I set this as well to 192.168.0.252?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, but I'd use a DHCP range of more like 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.100, there's no reason to have an address pool that large. Also, if the router's base address is 192.168.0.1, you can't use that in the DHCP address pool, which is why I started my example at x.x.x.2.

Any statically assigned IP addresses need to be outside the range of the DHCP address pool.

5. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Great I'll try this.
    Yes I specified a range too big your suggestion is better.
    I'll try and advise. Thanks

6. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Follow-up:

I had set-up the wireless (internal home) network properly.
    It appears the issue was with the HP Printer software.

Spent 4 hours on a support call with HP Support (2 different technicians)
    There appeared either to be an issue with the Vista 64bit and the HP printer software and its spooler and/or some legacy print divers for a "Lexmark" printer. Supposedly Lexmark uses some propritory modifications to the printe spooler that affects other printers (not confirmed). The Install CD did not have the correct software for the device and this made trouble shooting more complicated.

FYI - I did some testing on the wireless network and was able to ping the printers IP address from various locations and distances in the home. Connection to the printer was ok... it just wasn't sending the print request properly or just got confused.

Solution was to uninstall and download appropriate software / drivers from their website. In addition, any other legacy printer drivers/software was removed. Note: we made use of HP CD Microsoft Uninstaller program to get rid of the legacy software and correct the registry.

Main concern - Rogers Rocket Stick (Cell phone internet connection) affecting an internal wireless network and IP address. This is not a problem provided you use different IP address for each network. (Roger's uses an IP that does not affect an Home network IP 192.168.0.1 or other, so it has no effect.)

Marking this one resolved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786885

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice