1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: How would you create a self-replicating system

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by johnny88, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnny88

johnny88 Thread Starter

Basically I've been interested in creating an algorithm that would produce 100 billion digital units to study. Each unit would have its own code and therefore wouldn't be able to be counterfeited. Any tips where to start would be great. My hardware is limited at the moment. Thanks!

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Hi Johnny,
    This really depends on what exactly you're aiming for. What is a "unit"? When you say "wouldn't be able to be counterfeited", do you mean that it's impossible for one "unit" to pretend to be another, or simply that they won't try and you can see what did what?

3. johnny88

johnny88 Thread Starter

Thanks for inquiring. Basically it's to study random number generators and monetary fluctuations. Each unit would basically be a "coin" per se, and the specific number or code for each "coin'' would prevent the batch (100 billion) from being counterfeited or manufactured from an outside entity aka another person or program. Any tips where to start would be great!

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Well, you don't need it to be self-replicating in that case; easier to imagine a "mint" for your coins than coins having baby coins!

As for making sure they can't be counterfeited,
    It is not possible if someone has access to the actual memory containing the "coin" to prevent them from making something identical. If that isn't the case, but you need the coins to be able to prove their identity without someone else being able to use the same proof to impersonate them, then you'll probably want to look at crypto. Public key signing algorithms might be a good place to start.

Sounds like a big project though.

5. johnny88

johnny88 Thread Starter

Ok great, Public key signing algorithms.
    The "self-replicating" idea was an attempt to not make it a big project if you know what I'm saying. I want each coin to have its own security number similar to real world currency and the ability to trade it with other people who have downloaded the program. But I want to be the banker.
    Imagine it sort of like a bitcoin but for mock transactions, mock investments,etc. Any idea on how much it would cost to have that program built and with the ability for people to download it?

6. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Honestly, I don't know. You'll just have to shop around and see who offers what for what.
    You don't necessarily want the same person doing the coin coding as building your website or whatever else.
    It may go without saying, but if there is even a remote possibility that this would be used as actual currency you absolutely cannot skimp on security. It would probably be prudent to have someone (other than the original developer) review the code too.

7. johnny88

johnny88 Thread Starter

Ok thanks. Great info. Nearly solved. Would I, in your opinion, be able to create such a program with a top shelf computer? Any ideas on programs to download? Or even a reputable company to do business with? Your info has been invaluable! Cheers from across the pond!

8. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Honestly, there's not a great deal I can say. I don't know any companies well enough to make recommendations, and further details can only really be explored with close reference to the implementation such as only your chosen developer would have access to.

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So are you just trying to do what Bitcoin has already done?

10. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    As far as I understand it, one big difference is that bitcoin is "mined" from an unknown space of Maths whereas coins here would simply be issued. A typical desktop would take on the order or centuries to mine a bitcoin, but it should be possible to issue a "coin" in moments. The only thing that would restrict supply in that case is the number issued.
    That makes it unsuitable for actual currency, but could be fine for research.

11. Squashman

My Desktop is a terminal into some Big Iron. ;)

12. johnny88

johnny88 Thread Starter

Yeah, It could be the form of a hypothetical stock, note, coin, shekel or whatever we decide to call each individual unit. Basically, it was an app idea to run hypothetical ecomonic scenarios while participants can "invest" the funny money as well study the outcomes. I wanted my own currency for the project before I attempted anything else.

13. Squashman

That is a neat idea. Not my programming forte, but would love to test that app if you ever get a rough draft done.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice