1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP Drivers (new hardware installed)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlackCoffee, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee Thread Starter

Hello,

I had to get a new hard drive and re-installed Windows XP Professional (real disk).
    Ethernet and sound are not working. I believe the original HP drivers were on the hard drive that is now toast.

My computer is HP Pavillion a1542n
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=id&product=3199120&lang=en

Drivers are:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=id&lang=en&product=3199120

I tried to install some of the drivers but they don't work.

In device manager the following have yellow question marks

other devices
    - PCI Device
    - SM Bus Controller
    - Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller
    - unknown device
    - video controller (VGAcompatible)

Please help, thank you!

2. bigbear

bigbear

Can you explain in detail how you tried to load the drivers?

3. BlackCoffee

I downloaded them onto the desktop of the computer with the new HD and opened them.
    Is this incorrect?

Or do you mean which ones did I try. The BIOS one, The modem drivers and the HP Update. None of them worked so I stopped.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The BIOS isn't a driver. It updates the BIOS. You don't need that. You need everything else starting with the chipset drivers. I don't know what "HP Update" is, but that probably isn't a driver either.

5. BlackCoffee

Problem is solved. Once I re-formatted HD with Windows XP and then installed SP3 and the drivers, it worked.

Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/870172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice