1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP DV2000 laptop problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kreeyon, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kreeyon

kreeyon Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I have been given a HP DV2000 laptop by a friend that doesn't work.

When I turn the laptop on (with either battery or the mains) the power lights come on you can hear the fan start to spin for about 1 second and then stops and nothing else happens. The power lights still remain on, but there's no image on the screen, and I can't hear anything else making a noise. There's no beeps or anything either.

Any ideas?

Kreeyon

2. kreeyon

kreeyon Thread Starter

OK here's an update on my situation.

I decided to do the usual check of re-seating both the RAM modules, that didn't work. I then continued to take the whole thing apart thinking that there was maybe something jamming the fan and to give it a general clean. The was nothing jamming the fan and the components were clean.

I then started to put the laptop back together when I then decided to dis-connect the CMOS battery for the motherboard on the off chance that maybe that would do something. Well it did, the laptop now powers on and everything is working perfectly. The Date and the time in the BIOS is now incorrect but without the battery connected there's nothing I can do about that, but it sure saves replacing the whole motherboard.

I'm not sure if removing this battery is going to give me any other types of problems apart from the date and time being wrong as all hardware is recognized and working correctly, but any advice would be helpful

Kreeyon

3. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

You shouldn't have any problems other than any BIOS settings being defaulted, so that includes power saving and other features... but if it is working then i wouldn't worry. You should probably look into a replacement battery though.

4. kreeyon

kreeyon Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Goldfish92, the funny thing is, I decided to re-connect the same battery back to the motherboard just to see what would happen and if I experienced the same problem again. But the the laptop is working fine, and it's storing the date time and everything, so now I'm really confused as to what the problem was, and that maybe it was something that just needed resetting when I dis-connected the battery.

Kreeyon

5. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Yup, simillar thing happened to my sister laptop after she dropped it... I just disassembled it and reassembled it and it worked.. :p sometimes just reseating things dodes the trick. lol

Well, if thats all please mark the thread as solved usig thread tools :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!