1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP G71 Laptop - trying to load XP

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by romeoluzzi, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. romeoluzzi

romeoluzzi Thread Starter

I've got the above laptop that came with Win 7 and the hard drive went bad. Replaced the hard drive and am trying to load XP on it, but it gets to the part of the installation where it's starting XP and gets the blue screen of death. I can load Linus on it and Win 7 with no problems. I vaguely remember that there was a similar problem with Vista - that the type of hard drive had to be changed in the bios to load XP on a Vista computer. Is this the problem that I'm now having and is there a way to fix it?
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. mastercwc

mastercwc

have u checked ur bios settings and u can also download herin and test out very usefull program for testing

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If it came with windows 7 and you want to have xp in there heres what you have to do. Go into the Bios and set it from AHCI which is for vista and windows 7 to run properly and set it to ATA,SATA, IDE, or compatable to run windows xp properly. Then hit save and exit. Then hit F12 to get the boot setup hit the cd drive then pop in the cd and go from there.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it came with Windows 7, you may have a very hard time finding drivers for your hardware for an ancient operating system like XP. Some hardware types may not even have existed when XP came out. You should search for driver support or you may not be able to use the machine fully after you get XP installed. If it was never sold with XP on it, drivers most likely do not exist and laptops have a lot of proprietary hardware (like Fn keys and touchpads, as well as modems) for which the only drivers available are from the manufacturer.

Going from 7 to XP is like going from a car to a horse and buggy (though I admit he's a very healthy horse). :D

5. romeoluzzi

romeoluzzi Thread Starter

I do appreciate the information. Thank you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice