1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP laptop not connecting to the internet need help please.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cmc360, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmc360

cmc360 Thread Starter

hi im having a bit of trouble connecting to the internet with my broadband router. i will note that i have been using the exact same router for the past year and have had no trouble untill one day when it would just not connect. The router is bthomehub and when i open network and sharing center it tells me that there is limited connectivity (not the case for other computer in the house) but the signal strength is very good. Ive tried all options on the windows network diagnostics but am still having trouble. please reply with suggestions any help will be much appreciated.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try a wired connection to the router, tell us if that works.

3. cmc360

cmc360 Thread Starter

I tried a wired connection and that did connect me to the interet succesfully.

4. Tactician

Tactician

1st check to make sure your DHCP is correct do an ipconfig from a command prompt and make sure your IP address starts with 192 if it starts with 169 try re-entering your WEP security key, i had this problem once when i connected to a "public" wi-fi when i got back home it was setas default to the "public" one rather then the one in my house

5. JohnWill

First off, remove all the stored wireless network profiles, then try to connect. It should prompt you for the network key, make sure you use the right one.

If this fails, I'd remove encryption from the router as a test and see if you can connect that way. In addition, make SURE you don't have MAC filtering enabled and are locking yourself out that way.

6. cmc360

cmc360 Thread Starter

Posted via Mobile Device

7. cmc360

cmc360 Thread Starter

Posted via Mobile DeviceOk i tried all of what you guys said but nothing worked but i did find out when i did the ipconfig on command prompt that my DNS started with 169 but ive tried re-entering WEP key and no luck so how do i change the DNS to 192?

8. JohnWill

Well, that's the object of this thread, right? :D

See my previous post.

9. cmc360

cmc360 Thread Starter

ok thanks very much guys i managed to change my DNS to 192 and it is working brilliantly couldnt have done it without you!! thanks a lot(y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/872168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice