1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP Laser Jet 4050 configuration with Dynex wireless G Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by misslinda, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misslinda

misslinda Thread Starter

Components involved in network
    Dell Dimension 3000 Tower OS Win XP SP 2
    Dynex Wireless G Router
    HP Laserjet 4050 TN
    What I'm trying to do.

Get the wireless router to recognize the Laserjet and assign it an IP address though DCHP.
    The laser jet was originally configured on a physical Net Gear Route, thus it has RJ45 ehternet connection. When I connect the laser jet, Dell PC and the Dynex Wireless Router. The wireless network works fine as far as a laptop accessing the network, BUT the router does not recognize the laserjet and does not assign it an ip address. The laser jet had an static address with its old configuration. How do I get the router's DHCP to recognize the laserjet and assigne it an IP address? Any ideas or ways to configure the Laserjet to accept an IP assignment or lease?

2. kjjb0204

kjjb0204

I think the 4050 series only uses static ip. Did you go into the menu of the printer and see if it will indeed accept dynamic ip addressing?

3. misslinda

misslinda Thread Starter

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You really don't want to be assigining a printer a dynamic IP address. Set an IP address on the HP Printer that is outside of the Dynex routers DHCP table.

5. misslinda

misslinda Thread Starter

Thank you, Mr. K, for your reply,

First off, the "test": I had to log in every time I hit "submit," and I lost two replys. I've allowed a cookie exception for this site. I think that should fix it.

Can't find anything in the printer menu about ip addresses. But I know the printer has a static ip address because HP support had me assign it one. I have a printer configuration page which has all those numbers.

I suppose I should say that the first post in this thread was posted by a friend who's taking computer classes at a community college. He's gone till Monday, so we're back to misslinda.

(. . .) When I first got this printer hooked up I called HP about five times asking after a link for the pdf. of the Jetadmin user's guide. (The Laserjet user's guide says that Jetadmin is what you are supposed to use to set up HP printers on a network.) They never gave me the link, but they did help me set up the printer for free. I guess I got lucky.

Well, just now, after searching for Jetadmin software, I think I've found both the guide and the software. So I'm going to see what I can do with that. If I can do it myself I'll come back here and write down everything I did so others can use it.

6. misslinda

misslinda Thread Starter

Thanks Squashman,

I do recall that HP had me configure the printer using a browser window and, I suppose, the internet. That's outside the Dynex, so I think I'm on the right track there.

I would have written down everything HP support had me do, but since he was helping me for free I didn't want to hold him up.

7. Squashman

If the printer has a static IP address it isn't going to show up in the Dynex router. What is the IP address of the HP printer and what is the IP address of your computer. If they are on the same network, you shouldn't have any problems adding the printer to use on your computer. You add the printer to the network using a Standard TCP/IP port. You really don't need the Web Jet Admin utility to do this at all.

8. misslinda

misslinda Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, Squashman,

Let me back up a bit and say what I'm trying to do: get a printer online.
    The printer is a Laserjet 4050tn printer. It's connected to a wireless router with what I suppose is a LAN cable. It used to be connected to an old Netgear router with the same cable, and it worked fine then. HP walked me through the setup on the Netgear for free. No such luck with the new router, and neither Dynex - the maker of the router - or Bestbuy - where I bought it - will help me get this set up absent giving them seventy-something dollars.

I did try to add the printer using a standard tcp/ip port. Didn't work. So I went ahead and downloaded the Jetadmin software and tried to use that. Didn't work.

I've tried several different sequences of actions: in the end, and after hours of doing this and that, the printer still says it's offline whenever I hit the "go" button on it.

It took HP like five minutes to get this thing online a month or two ago. We used a browser window and assigned a static IP address. I remember we pinged and we got four packets back and the printer worked fine. Every time I try something new I ping, but the request times out every time.

I've triple-checked the cable connections. Three ports are open on the back of the Dynex. I've used all three. Dynex troubleshot the router, so it's not that.

I'm doing this for a little non-profit in a tiny little town in South Carolina, and even if I wanted to I can't afford to pay $75 to HP.

Seems really strange to me that this isn't easier.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    ML

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To print a configuration page:
    1 Press [Menu] until INFORMATION MENU appears.
    2 Press [Item] until PRINT CONFIGURATION appears.
    3 Press [Select] to print the configuration page.

Does the configuration page give the printer's IP address?

Is there a menu option/item for viewing or setting the IP configuration?

10. Squashman

I need you to answer the questions I had in my previous post. I can't do anything until I know the IP configuration of your Printer and the IP configuration of the computers.

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I have been doing these printer setups for years and this is what you want to do -

Router -
    1) Go to the Dynex router and see what the DHCP scope is E.G. X.X.X.50- X.X.X.200
    PC - to get info -
    2) Go to any PC that is connected to the Dynex and is getting DHCP and open a comppand prompt and perform an ipconfig /all
    3) Record the Gateway and the Subnet mask from the PC
    4) On the PC run a Lan checking utility such as [email protected] to see all IP's you have in use. (You will not use ANY of the IPs in this list this is just to tell you the ones NOT to use.) You can uninstall the program once you have the entire list.
    Printer -
    5) On the HP 4050 manually set the IP to any IP that is A) outside the DHCP scope you saw in step 1) and B) is NOT any of the IP's found on step 5.
    6) Set the HP 4050 manually for the Default gateway and the subnet mask the same as what was on the PC.
    7) Make sure printer is hooked up to the network via lan cable.
    PC - to set up printer -
    8) From the PC make sure you can ping the new IP address (same IP you set in step 5)
    9) Use the Add Printer wizard to set up a new TCP\IP print port to the IP address set in step 5 and then point it to the Printer drivers you need.

This works on most every HP printer out there known to man that has the ability to set the network configuration through the LCD interface.

BTW you have the Jetdirect setup for this model here - http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=18972&prodSeriesId=25475&objectID=bpj05217 this tells you how to set it on the printer itself.

12. Squashman

I couldn't have said it any better! Good Job Stumpy.

13. misslinda

misslinda Thread Starter

Thank you very much, StumpedTechy. Took me months to get back to it, but your instructions were absolutely right on target; took me about twenty minutes to run through them all, but now that printer works flawlessly. Again, thanks.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice