1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP laserjet won't print

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by longbody, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. longbody

longbody Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I've got a fairly wierd problem here that I'd appreciate your comments on.

What it is, I've got a HP laserjet P1005 printer and a Canon Pixma iP1600 printer plugged into a computer running Windows XP Pro. Both printers are shared on the network. When I switch it all on, the Canon printer works correctly straight away, but the HP printer won't print from the network till after its printed some pages from the print server.

That is, I switch it all on, then go to a remote computer and look at the status of the HP printer. It says "Opening....Opening....Ready". Then I try to print. I can look at the status of the job in the print que, it says "Spooling....Printing....Finished" and the job vanishes from the que. But nothing comes out of the printer. Then I go to the computer the printer is physically plugged in to and print a test page. The page prints correctly. After that, the printer works as advertised. I can print to it over the network without any trouble.

This seems to be an HP problem, cos the Canon printer starts up properly. I've installed the latest HP drivers, but that didn't help.

Has anyone come across a problem like this before ?

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello.
    No, not specifically.

HOWEVER:
    1. Does the printer function as desired when you send a print job, from the computer directly connected to the printer?

2. How is the HP connected to the computer?

3. Which OS is the computer in #2 running? Include flavor [ Home, Pro, Ultimate, etc ] & Service Pack if running Windows.

4. How many computers connect to the printer over the network?

5. When did the problem begin? Can you relate the onset to the installation or removal of hardware or software?

6. Have you checked HP's support site: http://support.hp.com for known issues, FAQs?

7. Have you uninstalled the drivers and re-installed them? Some HP printers have an uninstall program.

8. Did you install the latest drivers on the computer connected physically / directly to the printer AND the remote [ over the network ] computers?

9. Have you checked the configuration of the printer [ & if applicable the print server ]?

10. Have you spoken with others on the network who have access to the printer, print server if applicable, computers?

RF123

3. longbody

longbody Thread Starter

Hi RF123, thanks for your interest.

I answer your questions:

1. Does the printer function as desired when you send a print job, from the computer directly connected to the printer?

The printer works correctly when printing from the computer directly connected to it.

2. How is the HP connected to the computer?

The printer is connected via a USB cable

3. Which OS is the computer in #2 running? Include flavor [ Home, Pro, Ultimate, etc ] & Service Pack if running Windows.

The remote computer is running Windows Vista Home Premium with all service packs and patches up to date.

4. How many computers connect to the printer over the network?

The windows Vista computer is the only one that uses the printer over the network.

5. When did the problem begin? Can you relate the onset to the installation or removal of hardware or software?

The Laserjet was bought a couple of weeks ago and installed on a spare computer and shared so my wife could access it via a wireless access point from her laptop. When I found that it printed ok, but it wouldn't start up by itself I installed the Canon printer on the same computer as the Laserjet and found the Canon printer worked correctly right from the start.

6. Have you checked HP's support site: http://support.hp.com for known issues, FAQs?

I've checked HP's site, but found nothing resembling this problem.

7. Have you uninstalled the drivers and re-installed them? Some HP printers have an uninstall program.

I uninstalled the drivers from the print server and installed the latest ones from the HP web site.

8. Did you install the latest drivers on the computer connected physically / directly to the printer AND the remote [ over the network ] computers?

I did not install any drivers on the remote computer. When I installed the network printer, I got a message box saying "Windows will now install drivers for this device". Then it sat there contemplating its navel for a while and that was it. I've just been looking for printer drivers on the remote computer, I'm darned if I caqn find them, and it has not got the uninstall program that came with the HP drivers on the print server.

9. Have you checked the configuration of the printer [ & if applicable the print server ]?

Yes

10. Have you spoken with others on the network who have access to the printer, print server if applicable, computers?

The only person who uses the printer is my wife, and all she says is "The printer is not working again! I hate this computer! Why won't you fix it?". This comment is possiibly less than productive.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

5. longbody

longbody Thread Starter

Hi RF123, I think you've fixed the problem.

The second link you gave links to a driver which is a later version than the one I already downloaded from HP's site. I downloaded the new driver and installed it 3 times, each time getting a message saying "Installation failed",
    however the printer is now working correctly. I think the reason it said the installation was failing was because the install program kept trying to access the internet from a computer which has no internet connection.

In any case, I think we can say the problem is solved, and thank you muchly for your assistance.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

l:
    You are welcome.

Congratulations!

RF123

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice