1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP media Center M7100Y won't start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevesmith, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stevesmith

stevesmith Thread Starter

This HP media Center M7100Y won't start (no Power). The power switch checked out OK. I removed and checked the PS by jumping pin 16 PS_ON to pin 15 Com - the fan runs, green light turns bright and all voltages check out OK. When I re-installed the PS and press the power button it does not turn on (Green light dim and no fan). I reconnected the PS with the jumper in place and it still does not turn on but if I unplug the 24 pin connector with the jumper in place the PS turns on and voltages are all OK? What components of the motherboard tells the PS to turn on (I expected the jumper to turn it on). Any suggestions? Thanks.
    FYI I did not connect any of the power output plugs to the DVD, CD, hard drive etc. I connected the 12V plug to the motherboard with no change, connected power to the hard drive again no change - power supply would turn on unless I unplugged the 24 pin connector with the jumper in place.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The front panel power switch triggers a power circuit on the motherboard, which triggers the power supply to turn on. Sounds like it's time for a new motherboard.

Also, while the jumper trick often confirms a power is operational, that is not always true. Especially in regards to hardware with high power requirements. The best way to eliminate the power supply as the fault, is to swap it out with a known good unit.

3. stevesmith

Thanks for the feedback. I figured the power button triggered a circuit - just didn't know where to look. Unfortunately, I don't have another power supply to try. I don't know if he wants to purchase a new one on the chance it doesn't work.

I was curious about the jumper - since it worked with the PS disconnected but not when the 24 pin plug was plugged in (none of the other power connectors were connected - then tried connecting just the 4 pin 24v connections and no change). Like something (maybe a short or safety circuit) was preventing the jumper from turning the PS on???

It may just be time to replace the PC - it's 2005 model but I like the challenge of troubleshooting before I give up.
    Again - thanks for you feedback.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. stevesmith

decided to scrap the PC - not worth the money or time. Thanks for the responses. Sorry

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice