1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP Media Vault + Belkin N1 Wireless Modem Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mclarenvj, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mclarenvj

mclarenvj Thread Starter

Hi, I've got a HP Media Vault mv2010 and it connected to a Belkin N1 Wireless Router via Ethernet. I can't seem to access the Media Vault through Wireless. Although I can the Web Based Configuration.
    the IP for my NAS is 192.168.2.5. I type in \\192.168.2.5\. I get "\\192.168.2.5\ The Network Adress was not found"

I've Tried pinging it with cmd. and i get a response =D. but not being able to access the folders really bug me.

I Tried it with all the default settings in The Web-Based config. but it didnt work. so thats when i manually configured it an IP address. i also changed the domain name from MSHOME to MOWGLI, and its now in a user based setup. I can access the Files from the PC the wireless router is connected to, but the speed is really slow (only 100Mbps compared to 270Mbps)

All Help Is Greatly appreciated

2. mclarenvj

mclarenvj Thread Starter

3. mclarenvj

mclarenvj Thread Starter

I've been reading some reviews for the Belkin N1 Modem Router. They weren't very good :s

4. mclarenvj

mclarenvj Thread Starter

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the same computer can connect to it using a wired connection, I'm at a loss. Can you ping the NAS by name from the wireless connection?

6. mclarenvj

mclarenvj Thread Starter

I can't Ping the NAS by name, only by IP Address.
    Its not the same PC, Its two different PCs.
    The Wireless one is My PC in my room (no network problems apart from this one)
    The Ethernet connected on is downstairs right next to my Bekin N1 Modem Router and HP Media Vault.
    This Morning I was trying to access the HP Media Vault's Web-Setup via the downstairs PC, it took nearly 30mins to get to the front page -.-

7. mclarenvj

mclarenvj Thread Starter

Even when I go To the link "Customize your HP Media Vault's Settings" In the HP Media Vault Application i installed, It uses the IP Address, not the NAS name

8. mclarenvj

mclarenvj Thread Starter

9. mclarenvj

mclarenvj Thread Starter

Okay i did some searching Around. Now:
    -the HPMediaVault is not in User-Based Mode
    -the HPMediaVault is in the WORKGROUP Workgroup.

I fixed the connection between my downstairs PC (the one that is connected via Ethernet to the Router)

I've set my PC to join the WORKGROUP workgroup, but i still can't access the HPMediaVault. Also when i click the link "view workgroup computers" My PC is not listed. its just the HPMediaVault and the Downstairs PC

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you can't ping by name, you need to solve that issue first.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

Let's see this for the problem computer.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

Note that there is a space before the -n or the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the - or / in the following commands.

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

11. mclarenvj

mclarenvj Thread Starter

Solved =D
    It was my AVG Firewall that was blocking me

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice