1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: HP monitor going crazy on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plysne, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plysne

plysne Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilion dv2500 about 4 yrs old and just yesterday in went on the fritz in that after turning on and 3 minutes of heating up the monitor goes to an series of different ziggy lines with no text distinguishable. After cool down it again will load windows and all looks well for 3-4 minutes and then ziggy takes over again. Plugging into external monitor the external will mimic the laptops ziggy lines as well. In device manager it shows monitor controlled by Nvidia GeForce 7150M/630M. My question is for repair is this a swappable card or is it something hardwired to motherboard that local shop can't fix. If this has to go back to HP, my experience is that their repair about equals a new laptop. This is just a home unit and note vital to networking but more for the mundane homework. Give me your opinion and understanding of what can be done and what is probably cheaper. Thanks much.

2. dai

dai

it sounds like the video chip is overheating

are you using the laptop on a hard flat surface

if the problem is with the chip it is usually better option to replace the laptop

3. plysne

plysne Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinion dai! I keep it raised about 1 inch of the desktop so the fan has an escape route. I agree that your analysis is what I expected as well. Just didn't know if it was a swappable board or hard wired to motherboard. Can't find any shop that will tackle it and most agree with your conclusion. Anyone know if a replacement chip is available anywhere? I have soldered many a motherboard in building a computer.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could try something like this :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJI9mSEe-1U

I've never done anything like it myself.

You can't use ordinary soldering irons because the solder is applied as small balls between the chip and motherboard. Like this :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEMwLBFTpXY
    If you watch carefully you can see the balls move when they melt and get sucked onto the centre of the solder pad beneath them. This is the easy part, getting the graphics chip off the board needs a hot air gun or similar as in the video and then cleaning all the solder left on the board. Then using a special stencil to locate the new balls onto the cleaned chip. Apparently this can be done 'at home' but you would have to buy the hot air gun and the balls etc.

Some places advertise this service for under $100/£100 - google should find them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice